Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the .06 to the range today for the first time with the newly installed Boyd's Dakota. No earth shattering news here, but was asked to report after shooting, so here it is.

Impressions:

1) the gun shot paper just as accurate as it was with the factory stock. The Boyd's is full-floated, the factory Marlin is not. The Marlin is pillar bedded, the Boyds is not. Seems to be a push.
I may pillar bed and glass bed the Boyd's down the road, but as it sits it is exceedingly accurate for my skill set and intended usage. If it begins to lose any accuracy over time, I'll address it then.

2) the X7 seemed a bit easier to steady on the target freehand with the added heft of the stock.

3) didn't notice any loss of handling without checkering on the Boyd's in dry weather, but I'd imagine in wet weather it could get a little slippery. A couple strips of clear grip tape on the foreend would solve that if it becomes an issue.

4) the added weight of the Boyd's minus the thinner recoil pad just about equalled the shock absorbancy of the factory stock and nicer/thicker Marlin recoil pad. Might have been just a smidge less kick with the Boyd's, but not a huge improvement. You'll still feel it in the shoulder after a couple boxes of ammo through a 30-06 with just a T-shirt on, but that's to be expected. A thicker recoil pad on the Boyd's would likely help, but it doesn't kick any worse than before, so it's good to go for me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree. My Boyds classic gave me almost the same results. The only thing I would improve is a thicker recoil pad, but imo I never had a recoil pad before and if my old man who is 70 can take the soreness in the shoulder, I can too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well I actually did have accuracy problems with the camo stock. Not sure if its just the camo one that has been giving folks problems but mine did. It was severely warped and all of my shots were going up and right. I honestly could have stood 3 paces in front of the paper target, pulled the trigger and the round would have gone way off target. I noticed that the camo stock was really unbalanced with no weight in the rear end to take some of the recoil. The Boyds is just amazing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.