Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends, as the bug has got me again....ugh...I'm looking for a 336 in 30-30 longer barrel the better. this gun will be for my father I want to make it "pretty" unlike my pig killer project.....looks are important. So....I was looking around at customs stock sets for the 336 and saw Boyd's makes a super grade Claro walnut. Anyone have any experience with these in terms of quality and fitting challenges? I would buy unfinished and have my smithy fine-tune the fit and do the finish work.....I have zero time to do it maself.

Thoughts all,
Matthew

PS....Nations Gun Show this weekend........pray for me brother and sisters.

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I would avoid the Boyd's stocks, the ones that I have seen do not have the correctly fitted fore end stock. The stock is too short by about a quarter inch. Have your gunsmith order the stocks then the fitting is his problem.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts

I would avoid the Boyd's stocks, the ones that I have seen do not have the correctly fitted fore end stock. The stock is too short by about a quarter inch. Have your gunsmith order the stocks then the fitting is his problem.
+1! :top:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Might try Macon gunstocks out of Warsaw MO. I have never done business with them but they show some pretty nice stock sets for many guns including the Marlins.

·
Registered
271 Posts
PS....Nations Gun Show this weekend........pray for me brother and sisters.
I will be there also…and your best bet on a "purdy" stock set might just be to find a nice one to begin with. That way the fit and finish is what you expect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts