Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
I've never shot a bowling pin so I have no idea what to expect from them. Knock over? Explode? Or just stand there dazed and confused? :hmmmm:

Regardless of the answer... Nice shooting Chris. I suspect this poor bowling pin was victimized by your 308MX? :biggrin:

Jack

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I've never shot a bowling pin so I have no idea what to expect from them. Knock over? Explode? Or just stand there dazed and confused? :hmmmm:

Regardless of the answer... Nice shooting Chris. I suspect this poor bowling pin was victimized by your 308MX? :biggrin:

Jack
Bowling pins have extremely hard wood and also a very hard finish. I have seen a 22 round penetrate the finish then follow the wood around plowing a furrow under the finish.

Reactions: JACKTW

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
Yeah... Those outer "jackets" are about 1/8" to 3/16" thick of some pretty serious and tough sort of plastic - - almost like UHMW stuff with a durometer of about 90... I've seen bowling pins last through a complete match with everything from .38 Spcl's to .45 ACP being put into them.

Usually what ends up blowing out is the base. The rest of the pin might be pretty ragged, but still generally intact, except it won't stand worth a hoot as the bottom is history. Seems like the only place the wood has to go is down or something. Meanwhile, the skin or shell or whatever it is will show the holes, maybe a gouge, and rarely a full on split.

I reckon center-fire rifle bullets would pretty well destroy them in a few rounds, and all I've ever shot them with is handguns. But for handgunning practice, bowling pins are top shelf fun.

·
Team 45-70 Big Buck Contest Winner 2012
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Jack, it was my 308MX. It fell over in semi slow motion, had me wondering if I'd really hit it.
I did it on a dare and received the "That was a pretty good shot" the next morning. We have a pretty rough crowd up at the cabin!

The kids were shooting 22s and I really didn't want to hold up their fun, so I put the 308MX away after the one shot.

·
Administrator
28,335 Posts
Interesting guys. So how do you come across the bowling pins? Are they thrown out being replaced with new ones?

Jack

·
Premium Member
8,170 Posts
I picked up three of them several years ago at a garage sale, but those are long gone. I might have to go to one of the local bowling alleys and see about begging for (or possibly buying) a couple of old ones.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Used to have a feller show up at the Great Northern Celebrity Bowling Pin shoot with his .444. We had stages for just about every firearm action and caliber, from .22's to 9mm to auto rifles to bolts. A team shoot with one pistol, one revolver and one shotgun per team. That ol' .444 would just blow right through pins and firmly push them off the back of the table. One year I missed out winning first place by .02 seconds!!! I'll never lend a gun out to another competitor!!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Yeah... Those outer "jackets" are about 1/8" to 3/16" thick of some pretty serious and tough sort of plastic - - almost like UHMW stuff with a durometer of about 90... I've seen bowling pins last through a complete match with everything from .38 Spcl's to .45 ACP being put into them.

Usually what ends up blowing out is the base. The rest of the pin might be pretty ragged, but still generally intact, except it won't stand worth a hoot as the bottom is history. Seems like the only place the wood has to go is down or something. Meanwhile, the skin or shell or whatever it is will show the holes, maybe a gouge, and rarely a full on split.

I reckon center-fire rifle bullets would pretty well destroy them in a few rounds, and all I've ever shot them with is handguns. But for handgunning practice, bowling pins are top shelf fun.
We shot them at 100 yards with the mosins and it put a hole in them but didn't shatter them. My son manages a bowling alley and they replace them every so often. They looked fine to me but he said they were some they were tossing. Another thing about that finish, if it's the same stuff they used when I was in high school it makes a great stink bomb. One of the guys I ran around with had heard that and got part of a can of the paint. We kept layering it on a board until it was about a 1/4 of an inch thick then broke it up in pieces. When lit it would put out a heavy smoke and stink like you couldn't believe.

·
Registered
525 Posts
They are fun to shoot. All time best deal I ever made at a government surplus sale. They had a pickup truck load of em some new in the box.....think I paid a nickel each. Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts