Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was in a shop that I seldom visit. They said that they had it for 2 years +. It was a non functioning “parts gun”. On a whim, their gunsmith took it apart and reassembled it yesterday. Now, it is up and running!!

The clerk that showed it to me said he was planning on buying it himself next payday.
I didn’t add insult to injury by negotiating. I just paid the $299. (The “parts gun” price).
It is a 20 gauge. The last patent date is 1915.
What model is it? Any other info would be greatly appreciated!!!
Better pics later…..
Best,
Charles

Attachments

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
It’s a mod. 49 or one of its earlier predecessors (I think) been awhile since I had mine,true or not they have a bad urban rep tagged on to them,if not kept clean and looked after there is a possibility they can fire out of battery,I’m not sure if it has happened but I worked on mine and could see a possibility however faint .At the time I did mine i could have expressed why it could theoretically happen something with the bolt lock up ,but it’s real enough that they are banned from Cowboy shoots I believe it came out originally at the same time as the Winchester1897 lever shotgun which is a good safe design.mine was the most modern built around 1928 if I remember so for a design with a flaw they actually seemed to have been made for quit a while if my years are remembered right.People,men,were different back then,they were more inclined to take a chance on a possible flaw,in the face of a real danger or attack!Example; “We’ ll give you this shotgun to defend yourself from some real bad dudes who we’re 90% sure will cut your throat or shoot you, but there is a faint chance it will malfunction.” They tended to be gamblers back then.

·
Premium Member
5,696 Posts
I cleaned an old Marlin pump up years ago for a friend. When I researched it I saw the model was nicknamed the widow maker, so read up on them! That’s all I can tell you about it but it was enough for me to never forget

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I'll go out on a limb and call it a Model 30. Looks a lot like the one my Grandad had. Looking for pics......

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK……. The light is much better at home. Three salesclerks and I missed this….. it is a model 30 G!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
665 Posts
That’s a Model 30 20 ga. Smaller frame than a 12 ga. I love mine, shoots like a rifle. Also have a Model 24 12 ga and an uncut Model 49 I think. I use the short M24 at my cas club often, occasionally I use the M30. If you are planning to shoot yours make sure all of the safeties are working so that it can’t fire out of battery.
Gesture Hat Shotgun Recreation Wind instrument

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The1898 was a direct predecessor to the 49 basically the same item.and yes I was ,at the time,fully knowledgeable on all the safety checks involved,I literally rebuilt it from a wall hanger and it was safe,but I felt it was not reliable safety wise,one gun Marlin did not get right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts