Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Bought the 1st Model 38 I have ever seen.Really NICE.

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  modoc 
#1 ·
I just got back from the gun show in Medford.Sold a 1911 Colt and with money in my pocket and time on my hands,I went shopping.Saw a Savage 22 pump a couple of times but on the third pass noticed it had an "S" shaped pistol grip and a target in the butt stock.Octagon barrel and finish around 90%.SOOooo,being a interested viewer asked to examine it. Sure enough a Marlin.Really nice,BUT the previous lookers jammed the action so it would not work. Terrible news for the seller but didn't faze me one bit.So instead of $275 I was a sport and offered $200.SOLD.Now I have to dig out the bible and begin Work. Now who could ask for better WORK.

#2 ·
Modoc,

Those aren't too tough to un-jamb. Ya did good!! :D Could you post the serial # range? - With X's , of course. I have a couple, one of which is under the published range & am interested if any are lower. Also, does it have the Rockwell stamp? SW

#3 ·
I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of that S curved grip on a Marlin pump- unless I'm reading this wrong and it's actually a lever gun...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Edit- found a pic of a Model 38- sweet lookin lil gun! Darn- now I want one! :(

#4 ·
Serial number is Axx..Found the problem,The little doodad ,with the piano wre spring, that is on the right side of the action,"trigger guard and stock half" that gets pushed down to unlock the slide had been pushed back.Needed to push it forward to operate. Now that is some kind of engineering.Such great interior work,what nice finish. I MUST get an URL one day to share these things with others. This thing works like a champ now.Can't wait to get to the field.

#5 ·
Hey Modoc,
Go to hunt101.com, and open a free account to post pictures. You can upload pictures there, and then post them here.
Or, you can simply post them at the Gallery here, and then post a link to the pictures at this thread.
Doc,
The old model 38 is the hammerless pump, with a unique break open feature similar to how a shotgun breaks open, but slicker! They were one of the few Marlin pumps that used the old style pistol grip with S shaped grip.

#6 ·
marlinman93 said:
Hey Modoc,
Go to hunt101.com, and open a free account to post pictures. You can upload pictures there, and then post them here.
Or, you can simply post them at the Gallery here, and then post a link to the pictures at this thread.
Doc,
The old model 38 is the hammerless pump, with a unique break open feature similar to how a shotgun breaks open, but slicker! They were one of the few Marlin pumps that used the old style pistol grip with S shaped grip.
Also, you don't need to let lack of a digital camera stop you. The pics I have up on the model 38 thread on the rimfire page were taken with my dinosaur Nikkormat FTN. It cost me about a buck and a half to have those images put on disk. Any photoshop with a Kodak Image Center machine can scan them onto a floppy. I copied them to the gallery on this site for hosting (thanks Larry), then copied them to the forum. I'm one of those slow pokes when it comes to computers- it took me 18 months to figger the mechanics of it :oops:

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

#9 ·
It is a real bummer being a DOLT.Since I got this 38 I've kicked myself for getting rid of my other Marlins. To be honest, it is regretable that the small amount of money gleaned from the sales did NOT do what was intended. Pay off the credit cards,LIKE HECK.Some were paid off but the satisfaction from that is small compared to fondling GREAT guns that are no longer around.Still have a few but darn it too many, impossible to find, are GONE. Here I had three Deluxe Marlins with S curve pistol grips and end up with one that isn't even a lever action... OH WOE IS ME. Me the DOLT. On the bright side is the fact that this one is VERY nice and I can darn sure afford to buy ammo for it. Besides it looks so darn good hanging next to the Browning Trombone F. N.,which is a hard to find one also. So with my Mountie, 1906 94 in 45 Colt,1881 in 45-70 albeit a relic, I guess I should thank my lucky stars I could at least save that many.Oh did I mention the 32 rimfire breakbottom?Can't forget that little jewel.
I guess it is time to add a few of these to the gallery if I can get it working.We'll see.Thanks for the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.