Marlin Firearms Forum banner

bought one 45-70 1895 SS

4K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  davep 
#1 ·
Hello,

just bought one 45-70 from a fellow shooter, its a beauty.
A bargain i think all with bullets, redding dies, +/-300 cases off brass, gunpowder, primers,....... .

for the amount of 450€ euro +/- 620$ dollars
Is it difficult to reload this ammo or the same as all other ammo.
I already reload .357, 30-30, 9mm, and .38 sp.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Hello,

A bargain i think all with bullets, redding dies, +/-300 cases off brass, gunpowder, primers,....... .

Ya got one nice rifle! :congrats:

Reactions: davep
#8 ·
Thanks everyone,

Yes, I suspected that it was a nice bargain!

What I just seen by email is that the weapon was purchased in 2011 new and in the factory off marlin would this be possible!?????
A document would confirm this and has to find the paper.
Would it be a real marlin or already Remlin??,

I'm afraid that it would be a Remlin the quality is really not as well than a real marlin I think.

Why not get to little belgium delicious beers, and most marlin arms are very cheap here.

davep

#14 ·
yes you do have great beer - I love leffe and hoegarden (did I spell those right - are they both belgian?).

They are still branded as marlin, and it would still be the marlin factory even after the take over. The question of marlin or remlin is answered by the serial number and JM proof stamp on the barrel. Generally if it was made before 2009 it's pure marlin, afterwards probably not. Although they started the take over before so 2008/2007 is safer. You find the year of a JM marlin by subtracting the first two serial number digits from 100. E.g. 92xxxxx would be made in 2008. I doubt they sell many marlins in belgium so yours may well be a JM

#10 ·
Nice lookin' rifle and a good deal to boot

nothing difficult about loading the .45-70

congrats and enjoy

#17 ·
what powder and bullet weights are you looking at? The hodgedon website has some good load data, heaps of options. But then so do most powder manufacturers websites.
Hello,

Yes you spell it right and yes belgian roots ;). Much beter is the Duvel and Omer little heavier beers delicious.

I found such a stamp on the rifle so if there is a mark on with JM its a marlin right
the firearm is purchased from Marlin factory itself in 2011, the person was there and had a friend that works there.
There are more, stamps on it but these are from the transit into Germany. see the picture

Does you know what "Hege" and "AA" means ????

Greetings

Dave
Mine doesn't have those stamps, I'd guess they're various european proof marks. The stamp confirms what we know with yours being a 1999 rifle!

Haven't tried those beers, in fact I don't recall seeing them in the UK and belgian beers are rather thin on the ground round here... I'll remember the names though

#19 ·
Congratulations on the good buy. Nice rifle and the pictures are very good as well. Thanks for sharing with us.

Enjoy the Journey
444GS2

Reactions: davep
#20 ·
davep:

If you can't find the JM stamp on the barrel (Its located on the barrel close to the Receiver, but sometimes with age the stamp is worn off) check the serial number. Remington made Marlins start wit "MR" (for Marlin-Remington).

If the story you got about a "friend" knew someone that worked in the Marlin factory) etc. is true?? I don't know, that could be a old-wives tale, the SERIAL NUMBER and the JM stamp tell the truth.

As someone else already Posted, I doubt that they sell a lot of Marlin's in Belgum, but then, what do I know about Europe other than their prices on things are HIGH complared to the US. Taxes in Europe are out of sight!

Anyway, it sounds like you got a good deal and a very nice looking rifle.

Mike T.

#21 ·
Hello,

Good morning,

thanks hey good info, this person is looking for the real proof (invoice) that it is indeed bought at the factory.
No MR found on the gun only JM en than de serialnr en stops with A.

about Europe other than their prices on things are HIGH complared to the US. Taxes in Europe are out of sight!
This is true Europe is quite expensive to live but what can we do!
Taxes are high 21% on everything you buy, only on food it is 6% tax.
But health care is better over here we don't need a Very expensive insurance.
I suspect that each country have its pros and cons.

greeting

dave

#26 ·
Hello,

Man DaveP , You Did hit the Jackpot" , Bargain I'd Say :tee: And Heck" No it ain't No Problem reloadin for that caliber man . Why can't I find deal's like that :biggrin:

It a LOT More gun in your hand than your 30~30 , but loading for the 45~70 is a lot easier , I think anyway . I tell ya one thing though , people around ya at the range will Sure Know your there , when ya light that big 0 Fright Train Off " the first time :ahhhhh:It Will rock n roll the whole place , with a full house load . It'll Rock your Roll as well lol , so hang on to her pretty good . I love my S/S Guide gun , there Pretty good shooter's , man .... Be sure you get a good crimp on your bullets , so they won't move on ya , in the mag tube , I use a Lee F/C die to crimp all my load's on every cal. I shoot , but a Roll crimp like you have there in your die kit will work ok too .... Enjoy My friend , You did well there ....

#29 · (Edited)
Hello everyone sorry for the late response, just been out on holiday!
Thanks for the cool reactions.

@ Glen: what do you mean with " try paper patching in a 45-70" can you say something more! oh no I will not use black powder in the marlin

@ 1640hunter: Deal!

@ Magnum6: nice answer i think i will buy a Lee F/C die too, sec post, Lucky a reall Marlin :biggrin:

@ gunscrewguy: Yes the stamps are from german customs clearance en proof its safe to shoot with smokeless powder.
The "hege" stamp I do not know as well. Yes a great price en gun.

Davep

#30 ·
what do you mean with " try paper patching in a 45-70" can you say something more! oh no I will not use black powder in the marlin

basically you wrap the (undersized) cast bullet in paper. You can then treat it like a jacketed bullet in terms of velocity and pressure. You can also use softer lead for better expansion while retaining good high vel/pressure loads. Read up if you're interested, there's a bit to it but not too much. I'm still considering it but am getting good enough results with gas checks right now, might consider for 30-06 thouugh.

@ 1640hunter: Deal!
Awesome!
nice answer i think i will buy a Lee F/C die too
Yes they're good, but mainly for jackedt bullets that don't have a crimp groove. For bullets that do have a crimp groove IMO a roll groove (that you make with the seating die, just make sure all cases are the same length) is better

#32 · (Edited)
So my frist kopple of 45-70 ammo is made bras is p-r markt, bullet w.m kopper-lead 340gn and 28 gn n110 vitha powder.
Now i need to now must i crimp this!

At home i clean the brass in a ultrasonic en than in the thumbler for 15 min. See the difference.

Greetings

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.