Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a stock set for my 32-20 that will be an upgrade over the factory wood and I'm needing some pic's of older "vintage" stocks to get shape ideas.

Here is the auction and pics for the set I bought:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370527922087&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The "repairs" to the fore end are just hot glue. I'll either repair with walnut pieces or maybe glass bedding or epoxy.

What I would like to do is add a crescent steel but plate, loose the sloping comb to grip line and make it squarer like on the old vintage rifles. Don't have one around I can lay my hands on but it seems to me the old rifles had a thinner comb sort of fluted towards the front and you could sort of see the round shape of the grip extend back into the main part of the butt stock. I'll try to find a pic online to show what I mean but if any of you have a real vintage Marlin with a straight grip I'd like a pic of the stock and maybe some measurements if not too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave, if you'd like, I can take some detail photos of my 1894's stock for you. I'll try to get them this weekend. What, exactly, would you like measurements of?

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Kraig,

Well, if you looked at the pictures, you will see that I'm interested in the older vintage shape stock. Mainly, from my memory, I'm thinking the lines were trimmer, the grip longer and the comb squared of in the front and thinner or more fluted than the guns now. Honestly, I might be thinking more of old Winchesters I've seen than old Marlins but either way, that's the look I like. I'd like some good pics of the grip and comb from both side, top and bottom with an idea of how thin the wood is and how the lines flow. A measurement from front end of the stock to comb might be helpful.

I'm going to do some more looking around and see if I can find a really good pic of the style I like. The rifle in the marlinowners link above is pretty much it though.

Well DUHHHH!!!!

Gee Kraig....I just now realized the rifle in the link I mentioned above is YOURS! Sure is a pretty thing.

Does the wood on the bottom taper all the way to the butt plate or is it mostly parallel through the grip and for about half way back then flow down smoothly? I'd think the latter because of the crescent butt plate being (usually) narrow at the toe.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, on my replacement stock, the inletting for the tang is overly deep. If I tighten the tang screw fully, about 1/8" of screw sticks out the bottom! I'll either glass bed or make a walnut shim and glue it permanently in place. Might do both actually. Shim it close, add a bushing for the screw and glass bed. We'll see how it goes.

Anyway, I guess I don't need a top to bottom of grip measurement. I can just use the screw length as a guide. I thought about grinding the screw down flush but just having it fully tight seems to put a good bit of flex in the tangs so I feel the shim is the way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave, thanks! I believe it is more tapered than the newer stocks are. I've not fondled it recently so I don't recall for sure how it is exactly. I'll take some photos looking from the top down, from the bottom up and from various directions to hopefully better show it's contours. I need to get it out and shoot it again anyway. Who knows I might even be able to shoot well enough to have targets to mail in for the Team 1894 challenge... :)

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Kraig. I was just looking at my stock and then your pictures and wondered if you could measure the height of the stock from belly to back right at the point of the comb and also at the back end.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave, the stock is 2.5" from the belly to the front of the comb and the butt is a hair over 4 and 5/16" high from point to point on the crescent. I just took a bunch of photos, some with a tape measure in them. I'll have to post them from work tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's great Kraig.

I'll be looking for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dave, as promised, here are the photos. Hopefully they show enough detail for you. Let me know if you need any more dimensions.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Kraig, that's exactly what I needed. It looks like I might have some issues trying to square off the comb like yours is though. Unless your tang is longer than newer rifles, the comb on mine is shorter. If I square off the corner I'll have better than an inch of straight grip behind the tang. Might not look right. I measured from the butt end of the wood to the point of the comb and it's only 7 3/4". I was playing with the idea of putting on a crescent steel butt plate but I might not have the length to do that.

Here are a couple pic's to show what I mean.

Comb length. In the pic, it looks like the scale is not lined up at the back end but that must be some close up/wide angle distortion. the end of the scale was right on the line between wood and butt plate.

Top view. Note the distance from tang to end of comb.

A shot with a scale for reference.

Oh, and since someone is sure to ask... yes, I broke three fingers about 2 1/2 weeks ago at work. Well, my partner helped. ;D Crushed actually but they're doing pretty good. Here's what they looked like about 12 hours after it happened. Not that bad really considering they got caught between a steel arm and the frame of a machine and the gap there is right at 1/8".... The ring finger is split back to the knuckle and fingernail was broke and hanging out the back end through the cut. The middle finger is the worst with the broken section of bone not lined up any more. It's kinda on top of the piece it broke off of and that last joint was partly crushed. Index finger is broken off and the broken part is in about 4 pieces. I've had surprisingly little pain all along and they are starting to feel like they are healing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts