Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys!

i am new to the forum but i just purchased a marlin model 25 in .22lr from a friend of mine! he had a couple guns and just wanted to get rid of them. bought the .22 and a mossberg 12ga. for $125!!! the gun is in great shape! no rust! stocks finish is a little worn and the bluing on the barrel in a few spots. also the rear sight is very slightly bent to one side. but besides that the gun is great and Ive heard some really great things about them!!!

anyways i have my ccw and have owned multiple handguns but never any rifles so i am new to this! i am looking to try and make this gun a little tack-driver if possible! i am going to use it for groundhogs, chipmunks, squirrels, rabbits and some target shooting. in the range of 25-100yds most likely.

i have already read some topics on trigger jobs and am going to try a few things.

but i am looking to put a scope on this rifle. i was looking at two main options but am up for suggestions. . .

Leupold vx-i rimfire 2-7x 28mm

Nikon prostaff 3-9x 40mm 150 bdc

any ideas on those scopes? what about a fixed 4x?
i also would still like the option to use the iron sights with the scope still mounted. i was looking at the Leupold 1" see-thru 3/8in grooved rimfire rings. would these work?

i am up for any suggestions or ideas and am excited to see what some people with more experience have to say about the subject.

also any cleaning tips? products?

this winter i may actually refinish the stock and if possible the bluing on the receiver and barrel!!! so products or direction on this topic would also be greatly appreciated!!

thanks!!!

Steven

·
Registered
304 Posts
G'day Steven welcome aboard.
Well done on what sounds like a pure bargin.

Personally I would steer clear of any see through or high rise scope mounts, I would choose one or the other sight systems eg. scope only or irons only. Best to keep the scope mounted as low as possible on the rifle.

My .22 is an old Lithgow single shot that was never intended for scope use but I've used a high mount for the scope to clear the bolt and allow access to the breech. Works OK but difficult because you can't rest your cheek on the stock properly.

However with iron sights 50 yard chest shots on bunnies was the norm but with the scope 75 yard head shots are no problem. Also if you use a spotlight iron sights are just a pain.

I have had a 3-9x40 scope on the .22 but ditched it for a fixed 3x32. Found the varible too overpowered for the field and got too side tracked adjusting settings rather than staying focused on the shot. I think a 4x32 with duplex riticle is perfect for a .22.

I'm sure the little Marlin will serve you well....by the way we do like pictures around here. ;)

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Scopes depend on what your going to do with it.. and cleaning of 22s is simple.. if wet clean all of it .. other than that only clean the barrel inside when accuracy falls off.. some take 10rds of fouling to get back on track as tack drivers ...
a standard 22 scope fixed 4x is plenty for most things .. I like open sites too. many options on that end.. I usually just stay with factory for open .. I have a 6x24 mounted on one of my 22's but it's for real precision shooting in thick canopy for squirrels .. sometimes only a head shot is available ..

You may have to play with different types of ammo to find the one the gun likes best too.. CCI's are generally good over the bulk stuff.. Most of mine love the Winchester 36gr Hps too...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
There are scopes made for 22's or rimfires in general. These are set to be parallax free and shorter ranges like 50 yds- vs most centerfire scopes which are set for parallax free at 100 yds. I would recommend a scope that is either parallax free at 50 yds or has an adjustable objective that lets you dial out parallax at the range you are shooting.

And when you get to shooting this gun with the scope realize that guns shoot different ammunition.... well differently. There will be one kind of 22 LR ammo that this gun likes more than the others. I hope its a cheap one that is easy to get. So get yourself several different 50 rd boxes and go try them out on the range- shoot from a bench, with a good rest- and see what ammo your gun likes best. This might be the best and cheapest step towards making this the tack driving rimfire you desire.

Good luck. Have fun.

M

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
My Marlin model 80 bolt gun sports a Leupold 3X9 Vari X III I had laying around, it does 75 yd head shots on gophers.

That trigger may be to your liking as is, shoot it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the advice guys!

i decided to go with the Leupold 2-7x 28mm! and i got the lowest mounts that would still fit the scope! it is parallax free at 60 yards. ill probably keep it around 4x but i like that ill have the option to adjust if need be.

and when i bought the guns he gave me a bulk box of Remington hp and a bunch of shotgun shells he had laying around for free so Ive been having some fun with that right now! it was only about 20-25 yards but i already got two chipmunks just using the iron sights. but this week my local gun shop is having a big sale so i am gonna go and buy a bunch of different ammo to try out and see what it likes best!!

even though i got the scope i am probably gonna leave it off for a little while and just use the irons. and so far i haven't done any work to the trigger. but it is a little stiff and every once in awhile i can feel it hang up slightly as i release the trigger. . . maybe just needs some cleaning and a some slight sanding?

and yes! 2 guns for $125. they belonged to a friend of mine from church. they were his dads and he had them just laying around for years. once he got them from his dad he never used them even once. just sat in the closet. he just wanted to get rid of them. being a friend i offered the $125. (both are in great shape). afterword's he told me he was only expecting like $20. . . . i still think i got a deal though and we both were happy with the outcome.

and my camera is broken but as soon as i can i will have pictures posted!!!

also there are some grooves in the receiver where the bolt slides back and forth? not on the bolt itself though. . . everything moves and operates flawlessly just curious if this is normal wear? i know pictures would probably help.

thanks guys!

steven

1 - 7 of 7 Posts