Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gents,

Thanks to all who assisted in my first Marlin purchase! Picked up my 1893 on Monday, tested it at range and everything is excellent.

015-1.JPG 006.JPG 004.JPG Now I am wondering about disassembly, cleaning the wood and re-blueing, etc. Basically, should I try to fix something that isn't broken? Should I clean the wood, and if yes with what? Should I even consider taking it to a gunsmith for professional re-blueing or let the natural wear continue? I plan to keep the rifle in my family.

Many thanks!

3GR

·
Registered
646 Posts
In my opinion I love the look of a weathered gun. Seems to give them a soul. So I wouldn`t change a thing.
I agree, she's got character. Nice-lookin' rifle!!!

Reactions: 3gunrookie

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
I have a mid 40's Winchester 94 family heirloom that was handed down to me from my wife's grandfather. It was so rusted that I was affraid to shoot it. Her grandfather hadn't shot it in years, but had loaned it out to a grandchild (an adult) for deer season and he left it in his trunk all winter in central NY. The gun was returned without its tang sight and was wet/rusty, and her grandfather didn't check the gun when he got it back. I cleaned it up with lots of CLP and a hard bristle tooth brush and I'm going to leave it as is. It cleaned up real nice and shoots even better. I love the old look that it has. After all, it put food on the table for her grandfather's large family for decades.

Just my opinion, but I would leave it as is. It looks great and has that unique "flavour".

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey 3gun,

Great looking rifle. Like the other posters, would keep it as is.

In our gunsmithing forum, we have all kinds of info on proper maintenance. Do It Yourself Gunsmithing

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey there 3gr -- It's very likely your rifles receiver, lever, bolt and hammer may have been case colored originally, not blued. For most of us with these old timers, we enjoy looking at a hundred years of use, and mostly just wish they could tell us what they've seen. One of the reasons I take one home every now and then is just because they look "old". I'd be voting to gently clean it up and admire it's present condition. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
Hello and congratulations from a fellow Canuck. What part of the Great White North are you from. There is a guy in Quebec who does case hardening.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hey there 3gr -- It's very likely your rifles receiver, lever, bolt and hammer may have been case colored originally, not blued. For most of us with these old timers, we enjoy looking at a hundred years of use, and mostly just wish they could tell us what they've seen. One of the reasons I take one home every now and then is just because they look "old". I'd be voting to gently clean it up and admire it's present condition. Best regards. Wind
Gentle rub down with 0000 steel wool and gun oil will clear any surface rust...

·
Premium Member
16,409 Posts
Hey 3 Gun,

If you would like to clean it up a bit, try this. Put a bit of ATF on a shop rag, and gently wipe. Allow to soak a bit, wipe some more. Will not cause any scratching.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'd leave it just the way it is. Out side of just making sure she's clean and lubed I would'nt do anyting but enjoy shooting it. Unless you wanted to send it to someone like Doug Turnbull for a full restoration, it would be like defacing a historical treasure.:) It's a beautiful gun!

Keith

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I have a 1893 Marlin in the same condition and i don't plan on doing anything other than internal cleaning and lubricating. A reblue makes it look like it came out of China.

Reactions: Shenandoah

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi 3G,
I too agree with all others, It's a fine old piece. But unlike you I was handed a 1900 rust bucket POJ to see what I could do. With a bolt through the cracker stock and everything all gummed up I was able to get her back to working condition. If anyone can help, heres where my last problem comes in. The trigger pul is only 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 lbs pull and to me it's in a danger zone. I would like to replace the trigger and hammer but can not locate the hammer (Numerich is out of stock ) can anyone help?
Thanks
Peashooter13

·
Registered
371 Posts
Recut hammer notch. A very little goes a long way. Something a gunsmith should be able to do if you are uncertain about what to do. Probably cost less than replacement parts.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
Let the shoosting begin!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have a 1893 Marlin in the same condition and i don't plan on doing anything other than internal cleaning and lubricating. A reblue makes it look like it came out of China.
Or from Remington via WalMart. Agree just to clean her up (look at it from a maintenance point of view, not "restore to new") Great looking rifle as is...use her and love her!

Reactions: RickFoster
1 - 20 of 23 Posts