Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was wondering how old it is. It does say REP and serial # starts with MR11. Does that mean 1989? If it does it is 23 years old?

I bet Rem changed it and means 2011?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TNWoodsman said:
How do you like it?
My first lever gun and I can't really find anything wrong with it. The action may be rough but I don't have anything to compare it to. IMO it is a really pretty rifle. Fit and finish seems good and everything seems straight. I shot a couple boxes of REM 405 and it was great. I have ordered dies, a new trigger and scope mount for it. We will see how it does with a scope and handloads.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
As I understand the new numbering system........

MR= MarlinRemington
11=2011

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wish you the best with it. Mine has turned out to be a good one and will shoot anything that I put in it.

kenken

·
Registered
899 Posts
The 'New' Numbering system doesn't come into play here ... or ... doesn't have any rhyme or reason behind it.

I'd say yours is a late , November / December 2017 production rifle. I've seen a few recently that were verified through Remington as being March or April and they were "MR056" and "MR058". Once they run out of numbers ... they lengthen the serial number or start over with 10 ... 11 ...20....21 .... etc ....

They don't keep records like Marlin did, so there will not be any 'Serial # to Date Made' code to them.

We're talking about 'Big Number' Mass Production here. I'd be willing to bet they pumped out 5k of each rifle model during the rebate last Summer. And ... that's not a whole lot of rifles if you figure in the supply chain. Especially since you send 500 to Australia ... another 1k to Canada ... so on and so forth.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
I'm confused. Arteacher posts back in 2011 that he purchased a NIB Model 1895, and wanted to know year of manufacture. Today, KyMountainman says the OP's rifle was made in 2017. So, what am I missing? :hmmmm2:

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I thought remington used a 2 letter code on the barrel.
Should be opposite the proof mark i.e. the right side.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.