Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one has been redone for sure The serial number starts with Y so I thing 1964. It has some custom work for sure along with a strange trigger. Anyone know anything about the trigger or gun? I have past it up several times. He was asking $550.00. It is a pawn and gun so I traded a knife and a pool cue plus 215.00 cash. I would say I have about $500. in it as he came down some on the gun but gave me less than retail of course for my stuff. Anyway I was happy with the deal and knew this is no collector, but other than one ding in the butt stock and the missing bulls eye it is in nice condition. The remodel job is not my style but looks to be done well. Of course I am a sucker for the Redfield peep sight as well.

39-1.jpg 39-2.jpg 39-3.jpg 39-4.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Congrats to'ya! That's NICE! :tee:

39D.?.?.???.......... Looks Nice and if it shoots good that's all that matters IMHO :biggrin:

Looks like a trigger shoe on backwards:hmmmm: I will watch this and see what others say...

Enjoy
BloodGroove4570

·
Banned
2,263 Posts
39a Mountie:questionmark: Damn nice looking 39 Golphin!:congrats:
Looks like a trigger shoe has been added.

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nice !
Congrats on your new pick-up :tee:

Let us know how she shoots .

Al

·
Registered
100 Posts
With that 3/4 length magtube .... Marlin 39 Carbine?? All the looks of the Mountie with the lightness of the Browning BL-22. What does the roll mark say on the barrel? I think 64 was the first year for the Carbine model.

Sweet looking rifle, the Redfield peep is a nice score.

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Good looking rifle.What does that thing on the trigger do?I guess you could put another trigger on her if you had to could'nt you?I think you got a good deal on a great rifle.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With that 3/4 length magtube .... Marlin 39 Carbine?? All the looks of the Mountie with the lightness of the Browning BL-22. What does the roll mark say on the barrel? I think 64 was the first year for the Carbine model.

Sweet looking rifle, the Redfield peep is a nice score.
Great post as I was going to ask about the short mag tube. I thought maybe it was custom also. The barrel says "Marlin 39 carbine". I was looking at pictures and all had the long mag tube. The barrel is 19 3/4 to the receiver so 20" total I would think.

marlin 39 mag tube 001.JPG marlin 39 mag tube 002.JPG

·
Registered
100 Posts
Wow! You hit the lottery! They only made that one from 64-67. Last one I saw on Gunbroker was ~$800'ish. Realy nice find!

Great post as I was going to ask about the short mag tube. I thought maybe it was custom also. The barrel says "Marlin 39 carbine". I was looking at pictures and all had the long mag tube. The barrel is 19 3/4 to the receiver so 20" total I would think.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good looking rifle.What does that thing on the trigger do?I guess you could put another trigger on her if you had to could'nt you?I think you got a good deal on a great rifle.
I have no idea about the wide trigger. I went out back and shot the rife and it shoots like a dream. The sight works great and the rifle is smooth as glass. The trigger feels good to me but is a custom add on for sure. The is no questions whoever did the rebuild job on the rife was good. It does not look like it was done recently though but at the sasme time I don't think the rifle has been used much after it was done. The hammer and the big nut look like they are nickel plated.

·
Premium Member
1,979 Posts
Handsome shootin' iron.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay I looked closer and just as you said "that thing on the trigger". I thought it was one piece but now see that it is some add on to the regular trigger held by allen screws. It didn't bother me shooting it, but I will take it off as it seems the trigger would be easy to bump being so close to the edge of the trigger guard.

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms!
11,361 Posts
Okay I looked closer and just as you said "that thing on the trigger". I thought it was one piece but now see that it is some add on to the regular trigger held by allen screws. It didn't bother me shooting it, but I will take it off as it seems the trigger would be easy to bump being so close to the edge of the trigger guard.
They are called 'trigger shoes'. Not as popular as they were in the 50's-70's. They can come loose, or protrude enough to cause ADs. A cop buddy had one on his 2 1/2" M66 S&W and set it off shoving it into a shoulder holster. Singed the hairs on his armpit and shot a hole through the roof. Trigger shoe went bye bye. He joked that it blew the "warning - do not use with trigger shoe" label off the Safariland holster. Also said the roof never leaked, the house was a rental anyway. Trigger shoes were common on target pistols as the wider surface reduced the 'perceived' trigger pull weight by spreading the weight over a wider area of the trigger finger. AC

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gunscrewguy thank you very much. I am learning something here all the time. With that in mind it sounds as if the trigger shoe and the Redfield sight could be correct for a 1964 Marlin 39. I will at least keep it in a safe place.

·
Banned
457 Posts
"I traded a knife and a pool cue plus"

Just exactly what kind of Pool, do you folks in Florida Play?

pooltable.JPG

·
Banned
457 Posts
Nice new Rifle by the way :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
That is a wonderful plinker! I've never seen one like it anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,128 Posts
That's a good deal on the carbine, congrats.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"I traded a knife and a pool cue plus"

Just exactly what kind of Pool, do you folks in Florida Play?

View attachment 103044
Half cocked the pool cue was a Brunswick Personal that if sold on Ebay with the right buyer could have brought 200.00 and the knife was a case Bowie from the 80's. If I had sold them on Ebay and got lucky I may have got 300. out of them and then had to ship them ect. He was doing good on the rifle but I knew the 39's were $500. range and this one had the Redfield sight so I was okay with the deal.

·
Premium Member
12,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I do want to say Blood grove and Leverforever both told me that it was a trigger shoe and I didn't catch it. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
8,595 Posts
Yep just what I thought, a trigger shoe... I just couldn't make it out good on my phone....

Nice lookin shooter for sure.

BloodGroove4570

1 - 20 of 28 Posts