Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spotted a 512 3-4 timews on gunbroker in the last 2 weeks and have bid them up to 375.00 and stopped and last night saw (1) with NO reserve and a buy it now for 350.00 and shipped in plastic case with scope and sling and looks pretty nice condition also. I bought her and spoke to fellow today and it's a done deal. I'll be able to through my 2 1/2 cents in about these guns in afew weeks.

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :) 8) :lol:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Congratulations!!

I think you'll be pleased with it. I would not part with mine. Remington Copper solids shoot best for me, tried a few Hornady SST's which did well also.

Let us know how yours shoots:
:D

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi GLC & 6pt-sika,

I'll try those sabot slugs and see what happens. I was told you can push it on out to 150 yds. Is this right? It has a wooden stock on her. I can't wit to get her out on the range and let afew go down the field.

I'm leaving in about 30 minutes to go to S. Carolina for about 10 days so I can't check in with you guys till I get back. Bought some land to hunt Deer on and there's alittle old house over 100 years old were trying to get afew people to work on and make a hunt shack out of it while were there. Tin roof and 4 small rooms. PERFECT !!!!!! Talk to you guys soon.

SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol: :D :) 8) :lol: :D 8)

G

·
SM49, In my savage 210 I've used Federal's with the Barnes Expander , Winchester with the Nosler Partition and Hornady's new SST slug . They all shoot very well. I've killed one deer with the Federal and four with the Winchester . All I'vr done so far with the SST is shoot paper and they shoot pretty darn good.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm sure you could make a 150 yard shot but you better know the distance and drop pretty well, have little wind, and a deer standing still for you.

I confine myself to no more than 100 yards. Longest one-shot-kill with a slug from the 512 is 87 paces for me. Closest was 12 paces.

I zero the copper solids 2" high at 50 yards off the rest. This puts them dead on at 100. I've not shot farther than 100 because I wouldn't shoot any farther. Don't have a clue as to the drop but it probably gets significant pretty quick.

You'll have to try it and see. Some of the newest slugs like the light and pointy Hornady SST's may do real well out to 150. I've shot them at 100 and they were pretty good. I can't find any right now and only had two boxes to try out when I did find them.

Good luck and post your results.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,
Just got back to Florida Monday night. Had good time and accomplished alot in short time there in S. Carolina.
Didn't get my 512 yet. I left the check in the envelope over the vizor in my truck so the fellow didn'r get it. DUH-----
Sent it next day mail today and a sorry note to seller. I sure had afew nasty e-mails from him while I was gone. Saw afew deer on the property and 4 turkeys also.

Later, SpikeMaster49 :D :) 8) :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts