Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These targets were shot at 100 yards using my handloads for the 265 gr Hornady FN and the 300 Gr. Hornady XTP. Powder is H4198. I shot both groups from the bench and I did not move the scope settings. The gun was sighted in with the 265 gr at about 2250 fps. The 300 gr XTP's are moving about 200 fps slower. It's interesting that the XTP's are actually a bit more accurate, but they hit approximately 3.5" lower and 2.5" to the right. That will take a definite scope adjustment if I'm going to use them for hunting.

·
Super Moderator
16,314 Posts
What is your recipe for each load please?

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dawei said:
What is your recipe for each load please?
These were made up using the following:

New Remington brass
Remington 9 1/2 primers

For the 265 gr FN:
47.0 gr of H-4198

For the 300 FTX:
43.0 gr of H4198

The brass was trimmed to the recommended length, and the bullets were crimped in the cannelure using the Lee FCD. I would have to measure the COL as I didn't write that down.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very Nice, no complaints there...you might also try the Speer Gold Dot 270 gr FP's if you haven't yet and Fed Gold Metal match primers. Those primers seem to produce smaller groups in just about all of my shooters from 17 to 50 cal.

LUCK

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Very nice shooting! Scotty

·
Super Moderator
7,964 Posts
NFG said:
Very Nice, no complaints there...you might also try the Speer Gold Dot 270 gr FP's if you haven't yet and Fed Gold Metal match primers. Those primers seem to produce smaller groups in just about all of my shooters from 17 to 50 cal.

LUCK
+10 it took me over 5 years to find and buy more of those primers! I love those primers for my hunting loads, better overall accuracy and lower SD's across the board on all cartridges I load for!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I had simular but a little better results. Both hit the same. 3 rd groups 100 yards with wind from the left.Using H335. targets were side by side on a pallet. Had to patch one up a little before making more holes

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I forgot to check them, if I remember I'll do it tonight, but my memory is about as short as...well, you know! ;D

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Halwg said:
I forgot to check them, if I remember I'll do it tonight, but my memory is about as short as...well, you know! ;D
Well you didn't have to make it personal ;D ;D ;D

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
COAL's -

265 gr, FN - 2.570"

300 gr XTP - 2.550"

That's what I know!

·
Premium Member
14,841 Posts
Thanks. Just out of curiosity but do you like your boolits/bullets to engrave on the lands when chambered or do you back the off a predetermined amount? I back mine off the lands .007.

·
Premium Member
12,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
VTDW said:
Thanks. Just out of curiosity but do you like your boolits/bullets to engrave on the lands when chambered or do you back the off a predetermined amount? I back mine off the lands .007.
Mine are backed off so they don't touch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts