Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, I just broke my .45 cal boresnake after only five uses. Is this fairly normal? I don't want to buy another if it is a common problem. The thin cord pulled out of the larger snake. I've invested in multiple sizes and I'm a little unhappy.....

I sure would like to hear from the rest of you on your experience; good or bad.

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
5,021 Posts
Hey there '95gunner -- I use a couple. Just at multiple day away matches. Haven't had any trouble as yet. Would it be something a big sail or carpet needle could re-lace and repair for you? Good luck. Wind

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
No problem so far from my .223 or 12ga snakes.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
I have several with lots of use on them and no problems. reflex264

·
Premium Member
7,974 Posts
Scott ...

I have never had one break as you did. I did lose interest in them when they started charging $15.00 and up for each one. I changed over to the Otis System and have been very pleased ever since. I think I changed about 3 to 3.5 years ago and paid around $39.00 for all of my needs and in a little round carrying case. What's not to like?

·
Super Moderator
11,851 Posts
I've been using bore snakes for 4-5 years in 22, 27, 30, 35, and 44/45 calibers as well as 12 gauge and have never had one break and I've had to pull HARD at times. The only thing I've encountered is the little brass bob came off one one but I clamped it back on. I'd call the company and tell them what happened, they will probably send you a new one.

·
Premium Member
8,497 Posts
have had no problems....kingstrider nailed it....call em and get a new one

·
Premium Member
12,568 Posts
I actually use a 35 caliber in my 338 because I don't want to buy a 338, and have to pull REALLY hard and have never had a problem. All the other ones I have, 22, 30, 44, have not been a problem. I like them and would buy them at twice the price.

·
Premium Member
5,327 Posts
I've been using bore snakes for 4-5 years in 22, 27, 30, 35, and 44/45 calibers as well as 12 gauge and have never had one break and I've had to pull HARD at times. I'd call the company and tell them what happened, they will probably send you a new one.
:dito:

Roe

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I have .22LR, .308 and .444 boresnakes. I've posted my support of them on this site and others before. I've changed my mind about their effectiveness. I'll use them as an initial bore swab at the range, but mine leave too much stuff in the barrel for a good cleaning. So, I'm back to patches and bristle brushes for a good cleaning at home.

rimrock

·
Premium Member
13,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I appreciate all of the quick feedback, I'll give em a call tomorrow. Doug thanks for the offer but they will likely send a new one (I hope). I just started using these a while ago so wasn't sure what to expect. I like em, just was hoping they might last at least a year - I shoot A lot!

1895gunner

·
Premium Member
1,129 Posts
Scott:
I have them for my .338, .35, .22/.223 and .270 and so far no problems. Give them a call.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I have .30 cal and 12 Ga that I take when I hunt and I have had no problems. I have soaked them with solvent and oil and have used them for several years. Here at home I do it the old fashioned way with a cleaning rod, patches and bore brushes.

·
Banned
272 Posts
I've never had a problem with mine.

If I was in your shoes, I would follow the advice here and get them to replace it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
:dito: Have not had a issue with mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts