Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The renegade I picked up last year has an almost immaculate bore. There is one rust spot a little less than 1/8" in diameter right near the end of the barrel. It's only on the land and not in the groove. The rest of the bore is nice and shiny all the way down to the breech plug. What's the best way to go about taking care of this?

Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
910 Posts
i agree with sparky, shoot it clean it, shoot it clean it, and so on.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Shooting it or the steel wool. I use Scotch Brite on new barrels to take off sharp edges. You do need to go all the way to the breech and back out without stopping. Surface rust should not be a problem, pitting maybe. Are you planning using patched round ball?

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
IMG_20140313_183554_140.jpg
Well.....were gonna have to have a picture of a renegade so here's mine.
My son helped me put this one together when he was three, being a big Winnie the Pooh fan at the time this is officially the "Woozle and Hefalump gun". Being a 54 we figured we had enough gun. I'm sure there's a rust spot on it somewhere.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mines a 54 too Sparky, but left handed. And your furniture is MUCH nicer.

Steve, yes on the patched round ball.

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
If there is enough rust to cause a pit, it may create problems for a patched ball. You'll feel it snag or drag over the spot if it's bad. But either way, I would let the target group decide if you need any further remedy like shortening/recrowning the barrel. Chances are it will be nothing. The advice for cleaning is definently a good path to follow.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

Shot it and the rust was superficial so it's gone.

Nice thing was it didn't need sighting in. Shot 3 holes touching high and dead center at 25 yds. Moved out to 100 yds and all 3 holes were even with the center of the bullseye horizontally, and one round punched dead center.

Have to get used to how light that trigger is once it's set, but I like just having to touch it to go boom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts