Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My "new" 1889 Marlin is a .44-40. Haven't slugged the barrel but there a difference in the bore size of a Marlin versus Winchester?

I'll be using a .428 200 gn Meister to load some rounds to try it out. This rifle has the cleanest action and barrel I have ever seen, but exterior shoes pitting that was cleaned up long ago. I can barely read the stamping on the barrel and there is NO caliber designation.

Another variation? Parley Bear identified the DOM as 1893.

Thanks for any information.
DD

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts
Not sure how Winchesters run, but I believe they are about .427". Marlins usually run a bit tighter on most older Marlins that I have slugged, but the .428" bullet should work well.
Without the caliber marking on the barrel, I hope you did a chamber cast, or are somehow sure it's not a .38-40 instead of the .44-40? There's only a couple hundredth's difference between the two. The caliber markings can be very faint on these early guns, and with a bit f pitting, or roughness, they are unreadable.

·
Registered
496 Posts
MM93 is correct. There is not a lot of difference between the .38-40 and .44-40. Both Winchester and Marlin had some variences in the bore size. The only way to be sure is to slug the bore. Parley

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Also slugging the bore will give you a better idea on what to size your bullets to.

Willy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts