Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What boots do you Canucks like for winter? I will be travelling to Saskatoon sometime in the next year for 2-3 weeks training and am trying to gear up now. I am told they like to have the training classes in Jan-Feb so I will need some good gear.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't know what most Canadians wear but I take the best insulated/waterproof boots (Meindl) with the best fit that you can afford. Footwear is no place the skimp and heavy wool socks worn while boot fitting would also be of benefit. Just my take 458

·
Registered
4 Posts
2 different types I recommend.

Try here for Canadian military moon boots (a lot better than your US military stuff, sorry bout that), I use them for hunting in the winter or for snowshoeing.

CANADIAN MILITARY MUKLUKS **NEW** | A & A Surplus

I also own these ones:

IMPACT MEN

They're good to -100 C (-150 F) so they'll be good for our winters. More ankle / calf support than the military ones.

I'm from east of Winnipeg (the coldest place on the planet this winter & tied with Mars for the coldest temperature recorded anywhere this winter)!

;-)

HTH

Jim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Go to LL Bean and get their winter boots. They are good to -40F
They are sold out right now but next season I will be picking up
another pair for my wife and myself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
When I was working in the arctic we all wore the Canadian Military Mucklucks. It was routinely -50 C. and colder. Always dry the liners overnight. Never had cold feet. Bob

·
Registered
97 Posts
Moon boots either American or Canadian are great, Whites are excellent though very expensive. It gets 60- sometimes where I spend part of my winter, the trick to warm feet is, and take this to heart because I'm not joking, to change your socks or felt liners or both half way through the day. A good pair of Merano wool socks are your friend, not a mix. Be skeptical of claims of -40 or -60 ect.. By makers of inexpensive boots, spend the money for good ones, if not Moon boots, then ones with removable felt liners and an extra pair. Good luck. By the way, if you're looking for good quality Merano wool underwear, -33 degrees is the best company for it. Expedition weight. And you can't go wrong with Filson socks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a pair of Baffin boots rated for -100 Celsisus from Marks Wearhouse for Can$ 200. Excellent boots ! wear some merino wool socks and I will be surprised if your feet don't sweat regardless how cold is outside. :)
Also military boots will work. I tried a pair of "Mickey Mouse boots" (black color) and I was very impressed with them. Careful how much you pay for them (no more than Can$ 50 at surplus store).
Let us know what are you getting and it worked out for you.

What boots do you Canucks like for winter? I will be travelling to Saskatoon sometime in the next year for 2-3 weeks training and am trying to gear up now. I am told they like to have the training classes in Jan-Feb so I will need some good gear.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a pair of Baffin boots rated for -100 Celsisus from Marks Wearhouse for Can$ 200. Excellent boots ! wear some merino wool socks and I will be surprised if your feet don't sweat regardless how cold is outside. :)
Also military boots will work. I tried a pair of "Mickey Mouse boots" (black color) and I was very impressed with them. Careful how much you pay for them (no more than Can$ 50 at surplus store).
Let us know what are you getting and it worked out for you.
Yeah, the military boots go by "moon boots" or "Micky mouse" or "bunny boots" depending on who you ask but they're all the same boot.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts