Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Must be getting old. Yesterday it was 42 years ago that I departed for Navy Boot Camp at Great Lake Naval Training Center outside of Chicago.
Just a 17 year old farm kid just chomping at the bit to get on with my life. My Dad was so dumb when I left and I couldn't believe how smart he
got in 4 years, 4 months, and 16 hours.LOL
Bob

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was a "land lubber" so only saw a few spots. Illinois, Maryland, Wisconson, California, Hawaii, Alaska, Guam, Wake, Midway, Japan, and the Philippines. When I made YN2 I used to deliver classified documents to all the 7th Fleet Carriers when they were in port at Pearl Harbor. Also
was hand picked for Operation Homecoming for the return of our guys from North Viet Nam. We debriefed them at Clark Air Base then they headed back to their families in the States. I was the records control yeoman for all Navy POW's and MIA's. Admiral D.B. Shelton and I were
the only ones who had keys to the files. This took place when I was stationed at Subic Bay @ COMUSNAVPHIL. Would not trade my experience
in the Navy for anything. Thanks so much for asking!

·
Premium Member
28,797 Posts
I was 7..Lot better than getting and staying dirty ;) I think Im still carrying around a few pounds of Panamas mud and muck :D My unlce was on the USS Ranger Bob, remember him being home for my 9th birthday, that would be 1971. Thanks bro,for what youve done.. Randy,,

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, thank you Randy!! You didn't have a cake walk in Panama from what some of my younger friends have told me.
Bob

·
Registered
9,157 Posts
I hear ya on the old man getting smarter. Now I think to myself when talking to the kids, "just wait, you'll see what I mean." 8 more months and it'll be 40 since I joined the Army, my how time has flown by! :-\ I was pretty lucky, 6 years and no lasting harm, some of these men come back a shell of who they were, some in a casket. A prayer and a heart felt Thank You to all who do serve and have served. DP

dp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts