Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bolt in my Camp 9N weighs 14 ounces, Anyone know it the Camp 45 uses a heavier bolt to handle the larger cartridge ? It would seem that the bolt might be heavier, since the factory supplied the same weight recoil spring in both the 9 and the .45, if I am not mistaken...

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Should be the same weight or slightly lighter for the 45acp. Same springs used yes, but most of us have seen the stock cracks and buffer damage that leads to. Also the higher pressure spike of the 9mm goes a long ways to make up the difference in bullet weight in regards to recoil and absorption of.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The standard factory recoil spring for the Camp 9 and 45 was a 10 pound spring. Many Camp 45's had cracked stocks soon. Many shooters recommend the Wolff 16 pound spring for the camp 9 and the Wolff 21 pound spring for the Camp 45. I replaced mine with happy results.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gentlemen, Thank you for the info. Hopefully someone will weigh, or has weighed, their .45 bolt and will scratch my itch in answering that question. btw, I use the 21# spring in my 9N and all ammo, even the lowest power loads, has been 100% reliable in my gun. Thanks again

·
Registered
68 Posts
Rock185;

Looks like you never actually got an answer to your question. I don't have an ounce scale here at home. I'll see if I can fool that ol' postal self-serv scale into giving me a weight for the 45 bolt over the weekend.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ray P, Thank you ! Always wondered about this since my Camp 9s' functioned 100% with the 21# recoil spring, even with the wimpiest/lightest loads. Figured the .45 bolts might need to be heavier, due to the greater momentum generated by the heavier cartridge. I'll check back often.

·
Registered
68 Posts
14 ounces for the complete Model 45 bolt minus the charging handle. Or actually; 0.87 lbs per the calibrated scale at the grocers.

Edited to add: Same weight as the Model 9. I am surprised.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Ray P, Thank you very much sir. Isn't it interesting. Same bolt mass, same recoil spring, even though the .45 generates much more momentum than the 9MM with factory loads. Thanks again, I really appreciate your taking the trouble to do this.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have to believe Marlin figured out the F=MA stuff for the worst case, and then used the same geometry (except bolt face?) & spring strengh for both guns to simplify manufacturing & keep costs down.

But it would not have hurt for them to put a bit more effort into their design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts