Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1968 30-30 the other day. The bump out on the back end of the bolt is rubbing on the hammer. I was just wondering if this was normal or if i need to buy some new springs or some other replacement part. It doesn't affect my shooting, but I shoot a lot and don't want to have to buy a new bolt down the road if i can fix this possible problem.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,192 Posts
Welcome to Marlin Owner's!!! :)

The bump on the bottom of the bolt ***** the hammer back as it moves rearward while the action's being cycled.

Enjoy your new very reliable older rifle!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Reedmccready said:
I just bought a 1968 30-30 the other day. The bump out on the back end of the bolt is rubbing on the hammer. I was just wondering if this was normal or if i need to buy some new springs or some other replacement part. It doesn't affect my shooting, but I shoot a lot and don't want to have to buy a new bolt down the road if i can fix this possible problem.

Thanks
Been doing that since 1968 I imagine, if its not wore out yet I wouldn't sweat it. Its perfectly normal. :) Your suposda post pictures though.

·
Premium Member
12,567 Posts
Firstly, I'd like to know what "The bump out on the back end of the bolt" is? I have never heard this before. The bolt has to cock the hammer unless I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im looking for my camera cord to post pictures. Once i have the lever in the down position and the bolt out, hammer down, when im running the bolt back in the very end of the bolt has a slight bump out on the bottom. It rubs slightly on the hammer pushing it down a lil bit. seems like its been doing it a while since there are rub marks on the hammer. It rolls really smooth though so im not worried about it. thanks a lot for the advice guys.

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
It's ok! The bump on the underside of the bolt at the rear is supposed to ride over the hammer! It makes sure the hammer is cocked all the way so it stays there when you close the lever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts