Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got used older 336..have a clone also,so familiar with teardown for cleaning etc..on the 336 I just got,the bolt is a dog to get out..I hold the hammer down..there doesn't seem to be any obstructions in bolt track that I can see..the bolt doesn't show bad signs of rubbing..is also hard to reinstall after the hard time removing..it is difficult to reinstall with or without ejector installed..I think I may have narrowed to the problem only exsiste when the extractor is out of sight in frame..the extractor seems to protrude to far beyond the width of bolt..can it be filed to reduce its overhang??..by the way the gun cycles like butter and throws out snap caps normally..the only way I could reinstall bolt was by depressing hammer with one hand and gently hitting rear of bolt forward with small plastic hammer once it is in about an inch or two it slides right home to chamber..

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had with one of mine. Check this thread

It ended up being the extractor. Cheap fix to order a new one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just got used older 336..have a clone also,so familiar with teardown for cleaning etc..on the 336 I just got,the bolt is a dog to get out..I hold the hammer down..there doesn't seem to be any obstructions in bolt track that I can see..the bolt doesn't show bad signs of rubbing..is also hard to reinstall after the hard time removing..it is difficult to reinstall with or without ejector installed..I think I may have narrowed to the problem only exsiste when the extractor is out of sight in frame..the extractor seems to protrude to far beyond the width of bolt..can it be filed to reduce its overhang??..by the way the gun cycles like butter and throws out snap caps normally..the only way I could reinstall bolt was by depressing hammer with one hand and gently hitting rear of bolt forward with small plastic hammer once it is in about an inch or two it slides right home to chamber..
check the scope mount plug screws.. may be in there a bit tooooo far...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i checked scope screws no problems..i think ill try filing the extractor outside edge slightly...i also have a rossi rio grande which seems pretty close to same design..i may try its bolt in 336 and visa versa..may find something out that way..last resort seems to be new extractor..seems like its a snap fit around bolt...looks like fun :))....thanks for input guys..

·
Premium Member
11,176 Posts
Just got used older 336..have a clone also,so familiar with teardown for cleaning etc..on the 336 I just got,the bolt is a dog to get out..I hold the hammer down..there doesn't seem to be any obstructions in bolt track that I can see..the bolt doesn't show bad signs of rubbing..is also hard to reinstall after the hard time removing..it is difficult to reinstall with or without ejector installed..I think I may have narrowed to the problem only exsiste when the extractor is out of sight in frame..the extractor seems to protrude to far beyond the width of bolt..can it be filed to reduce its overhang??..by the way the gun cycles like butter and throws out snap caps normally..the only way I could reinstall bolt was by depressing hammer with one hand and gently hitting rear of bolt forward with small plastic hammer once it is in about an inch or two it slides right home to chamber..​

I'd try another approach...........

The front of the Extractor is a Brazed full return bend.............if you file it too much, you'll weaken the bend and the Braze may fail....

Do this instead.........

With a small hammer, tap the outside front edge of the Extractor to move it a little closer to the center of the Bolt........NOT a lot, just .010-.015 or so...........

I think that will remove youre so called problem,........which really isn't a problem when the rifle is fully assembled........

Some things come apart and go together a little hard, but function fine and reliabably when fully assembled..............:hmmmm::flute:

Tom​

·
Registered
672 Posts
If it is indeed protruding you should have shined areas on blue extractor. Easy, take extractor off and try. I have seen some that may have been removed at an angle and it will tweak assembly making raised areas in front corners. I have a set of old duckbill pliers I polished up and put one handle in vise and pull in on other. Tap body with soft mallet and pop, oh by the way the third hand really helps. Or try an 1/8" straight punch under tang from front and center tip under band body and pivot off. They are tough little fellows and hang on really well. If found proud I would removed and dress and also work bolt over while you have it out.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
forget trying the rossi bolt bad idea, if you get them crossed up then you have a new set of problems...........headspace. try the extractor a better idea

·
Administrator
23,797 Posts
Don't know if this may be your problem or not, but I've encountered it twice on Marlin 336's.

Remove the butt stock and then cycle the lever watching the main spring closely.

The two I'm speaking of had main springs that were fully collapsed when the bolts cam was pushing down on the hammer making it very difficult to remove the bolt.

Both of these problem Marlins were brought to me from local Michigan owners otherwise I doubt I would have ever knew it happens.

I cured both of them by removing a little metal from the guide springs rod to let the hammer fully cock without fully compressing the main spring.

Very easy way to test by removing the stock.

Hopefully you have your problem resolved. Good luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
another problem COULD BE.. someone fooled with the finger lever tip and it is catching inside the bolt... take the finger out,, pull hammer back to "ready position" and see if the bolt is loose.. if not I would also look on the bottom of bolt to see if the locking block is coming down all the way also... ????

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not much else to add other than there are a bunch of folks here that really know their Marlins, inside and out.

Reactions: marlin model 93

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds similar to a problem I had with one of mine. Check this thread

It ended up being the extractor. Cheap fix to order a new one.
Yep, had a similar issue (my fault though), I tore down the bolt to install a new Firing pin and after re install of the extractor, same problem as you have. I repalaced it with a new one, i must have bent the clip on the original when i took it off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts