Marlin Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
The XLR bolts are the same material as the other bolts............If I recall,......AISI 1137. with in the manufacturing process, they are fluted, then blued, then OD ground to finished size whick is a nominal .673 +/-.003
They the XLR bolts are not nickle plated. They ar left in the white. Marketing wanted the flashy blue flutes. When I explained they could not be nickled after bluing, marketing decided the blue flashy flutes were more important than the nickle plating..............Now, don't forget, Marketing people know a lot about guns, metallurgy and finishing processes........... ::)

Tom

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tomray said:
The XLR bolts are the same material as the other bolts............If I recall,......AISI 1137. with in the manufacturing process, they are fluted, then blued, then OD ground to finished size whick is a nominal .673 +/-.003
They the XLR bolts are not nickle plated. They ar left in the white. Marketing wanted the flashy blue flutes. When I explained they could not be nickled after bluing, marketing decided the blue flashy flutes were more important than the nickle plating..............Now, don't forget, Marketing people know a lot about guns, metallurgy and finishing processes........... ::)

Tom
so we have a stainless steel rifle with a carbon steel bolt that is not rust protected ... super.
:(

Can you buy a stainless bolt anywhere? Or should I make it myself. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
336xlr said:
so we have a stainless steel rifle with a carbon steel bolt that is not rust protected ... super.
:(

Can you buy a stainless bolt anywhere? Or should I make it myself. ;D
Re: The bare bolt:
The Head Marketing guy told me ......"That won't be a problem"............Remember, he's smart, 'cause he's in Marketing............The Head Marketeer at the time.

If the lack of plating concerns you, I'd strip the bolt and have it plated.......either hard chrome or nickle.
I fought that whole issue for a few weeks, and lost.................I couldn't say anything for obvious reasons.

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Hi Tom.
I know its moot at this point but why couldn't they just nickle plate them before cutting the flutes & then blacken the flutes leaving the rest nickle? Sounds time consuming so I imagine cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tomray said:
Re: The bare bolt:
The Head Marketing guy told me ......"That won't be a problem"............Remember, he's smart, 'cause he's in Marketing............The Head Marketeer at the time.

If the lack of plating concerns you, I'd strip the bolt and have it plated.......either hard chrome or nickle.
I fought that whole issue for a few weeks, and lost.................I couldn't say anything for obvious reasons.

Tom
Can I do it?? without have to take into account the thickness of chrom layer. Or are the tolerances large enough, so the bolt still will match afterwards?

Sebastian

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I think you'ld be fine plating it. I cant see them drilling the reciever smaller or making a fatter bolt just for the XLR series, especially if they cant even be bothered with finishing the metal.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pete,
Not "All" Remington barrels were stainless in those days, far from it. Only those of the 7mm Rem Mag were. It was at first thought that barrel errosion would cause very short barrel life for that round. From it's introduction until the late 60's those of that caliber were indeed stainless. ALso stainless barrels did not have the acceptance of the general public as they do now, though those in the business knew that stainless barrels were more resistant to errosion. This is why Remington first plated the barrels so they would accept blueing.
I have a nice BDL in my collection that dates from this period. The blueing is still in good shape, though has a slight differance in appearance that the chrom-moly receiver does.
Guzziac,
Richard P.

·
Premium Member
6,237 Posts
I just like a chance to show off my 336XLR-35R and had to take it out of the safe to look at the bolt. Whether or not the groves in the bolt are blue or something else is used to color them. Is a question to me. I don't think it's blue finish at all. It looks like the same finish that's on the receiver of my Rem. 552 22LR. some kind of paint or epoxy.

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
Leverdude said:
Hi Tom.
I know its moot at this point but why couldn't they just nickle plate them before cutting the flutes & then blacken the flutes leaving the rest nickle? Sounds time consuming so I imagine cost prohibitive.

Ken,

The process dictated a mfg flow like this:

The flutes be cut
Heat -Treat
Grit blast
Wash
Hot Blue
Back to MFg for finish OD grind

In retro spect, the process could have been altered, but that would have added dollars..........I lost that one also

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
Ok, so the grit blast gives the flutes a matte type look like the regular reciever tops I imagine. Still mind boggling to leave a bolt on an otherwise stainless gun unprotected. People will buy them intentionally wanting a weather resistant gun.
Oh well. I almost drove to Southington this morning but changed my mind after going for coffee. I get stiff quick driving & would be cripple by the time I got up there. Maybe next weekend. I want to bring Connor up to shoot one more time before we go to OK.

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
Leverdude said:
Ok, so the grit blast gives the flutes a matte type look like the regular reciever tops I imagine. Still mind boggling to leave a bolt on an otherwise stainless gun unprotected. People will buy them intentionally wanting a weather resistant gun.
Oh well. I almost drove to Southington this morning but changed my mind after going for coffee. I get stiff quick driving & would be cripple by the time I got up there. Maybe next weekend. I want to bring Connor up to shoot one more time before we go to OK.

Let me know, I'll join you..............

Tom

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
marlin-x said:
Tomray, I always wondered what is the purpose of the flutes on the XLR bolts? Is it cosmetic, or functional?
I'm not Tom but he's said its cosmetic before.

·
Registered
550 Posts
The bolt on the XLR rifles are NOT stainless ?? Are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!! Who in the hell had that bright idea. I bought an XLR for the stainless aspect of the rifle. The bolt is just tool steel then. nice. :( Marlin better hope word doesn't get out to the general public. Why didn't they flute & color a stainless bolt. I feel like i just got "took"!!!!!!!

Are the 336ss bolts stainless or nickel plated then ?

John

·
Premium Member
12,094 Posts
I dont think any of them are stainless.
If you look at the specs on their website they say -
Action Lever action; side ejection; stainless steel receiver, barrel, lever, trigger guard plate, magazine tube and loading gate. Hammer block safety.
Nothing there about a stainless bolt.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't quite understand all the concern about a stainless steel bolt, especially since SS is not as hard as high carbon steel?? That's why I figured it wasn't stainless. I just use Eezox on parts like that and don't worry about it at all. So what's the "rip off" ??

·
Premium Member
11,403 Posts
jeepster360mag said:
The bolt on the XLR rifles are NOT stainless ?? Are you kidding me !!!!!!!!!! Who in the hell had that bright idea. I bought an XLR for the stainless aspect of the rifle. The bolt is just tool steel then. nice. :( Marlin better hope word doesn't get out to the general public. Why didn't they flute & color a stainless bolt. I feel like i just got "took"!!!!!!!

Are the 336ss bolts stainless or nickel plated then ?

John

John,

No, the 336SS bolts are not stainless either. They are Nickle plated. Re: the XLR bolts, If you remove them and keep a film of oil on them, you should not have any issues....... I have a 1911 with a slide that has the slab sides in the white..........I've had no problems with it, for over 25 years.............The trick is, to know you need to maintain it, and the needed maintence is not that hard, nor frequent.

Regardless,.........I still didn't like that Marketing decision..............

Tom

·
Registered
550 Posts
caveman said:
I don't quite understand all the concern about a stainless steel bolt, especially since SS is not as hard as high carbon steel?? That's why I figured it wasn't stainless. I just use Eezox on parts like that and don't worry about it at all. So what's the "rip off" ??
Well I guess that is a slight over reaction but still. Every other stainless gun I own has all the major parts made from stainless , including the bolt. It just seems ridiculous to me NOT to make the bolt from stainless.

The flutes DO look nice. Just took me by surprise.

John

21 - 40 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.