Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the bolt on XLR stainless or blued????
the bolt on the 336ss is nickelplated. But it seems my xlr have a blued bolt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know ;D, it looks much to be blued ... but it seemed a little strange to have something of the bolt to be in raw metal, when it should be weatherproof.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you look at the picture I put on my profile you can see that it is blued. And surfaces that are blank have no signs of being nickelplated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stainless steel can not be blued very well. And stainless can be found in magnetic end non magnetic alloys. The whole rifle is magnetic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only thing not blued, is the large contact surfaces. the grooves, the ends and underside is blued.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Tomray said:
The XLR bolts are the same material as the other bolts............If I recall,......AISI 1137. with in the manufacturing process, they are fluted, then blued, then OD ground to finished size whick is a nominal .673 +/-.003
They the XLR bolts are not nickle plated. They ar left in the white. Marketing wanted the flashy blue flutes. When I explained they could not be nickled after bluing, marketing decided the blue flashy flutes were more important than the nickle plating..............Now, don't forget, Marketing people know a lot about guns, metallurgy and finishing processes........... ::)

Tom
so we have a stainless steel rifle with a carbon steel bolt that is not rust protected ... super.
:(

Can you buy a stainless bolt anywhere? Or should I make it myself. ;D

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Tomray said:
Re: The bare bolt:
The Head Marketing guy told me ......"That won't be a problem"............Remember, he's smart, 'cause he's in Marketing............The Head Marketeer at the time.

If the lack of plating concerns you, I'd strip the bolt and have it plated.......either hard chrome or nickle.
I fought that whole issue for a few weeks, and lost.................I couldn't say anything for obvious reasons.

Tom
Can I do it?? without have to take into account the thickness of chrom layer. Or are the tolerances large enough, so the bolt still will match afterwards?

Sebastian

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Can you buy a stainless bolt anywhere?
or is there anyone who has drawings of the bolt. So I can produce one myself?.

Raw metal in a stainless rifle is not optimal. Since all the raw metal comes in contact with have a greater chance of rust.

Stainless is not softer than carbon steel. It all depends on alloys. Otherwise it may be produced in titanium grade5.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
What type of stainless steel should be used in the manufacture of bolt to a Marlin 336 XLR 30-30???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts