Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
Should be easy to tell by looking at it no? I never even held an XLR but I dont think the bolts are stainless.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
I dont think an xlr would have a blued bolt ???. Probably a mistake from the factory. I think the xlr's should have a fluted bolt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
jnicol6600 said:
I dont think an xlr would have a blued bolt ???. Probably a mistake from the factory. I think the xlr's should have a fluted bolt
Hard to make a mistake like that. None of the round bolts are blued. The XLR's have a fluted bolt for sure, I think that the flutes may be blued & thats what surprised 336XLR since the rest is in the white. But its not really in the white. I'm thinking they just take a regular nickle plated 336 bolt, cut the flutes into it & blue them. A unplated steel bolt would get ugly quick I think.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
454 Posts
Leverdude said:
Hard to make a mistake like that. None of the round bolts are blued. The XLR's have a fluted bolt for sure, I think that the flutes may be blued & thats what surprised 336XLR since the rest is in the white. But its not really in the white. I'm thinking they just take a regular nickle plated 336 bolt, cut the flutes into it & blue them. A unplated steel bolt would get ugly quick I think.
Ya like putting a regular lever and a blued mag tube hanger on a sbl ;D. I saw a new stbl at a gun show that had a fluted xlr bolt in it instead of the one it should have. or maybe they just didnt care?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
jnicol6600 said:
I dont think an xlr would have a blued bolt ???. Probably a mistake from the factory. I think the xlr's should have a fluted bolt
You are right. It should be fluted. They better start looking at the bill of materials for each gun or it will be like cracker jacks. A surprise in every box.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
336xlr said:
if you look at the picture I put on my profile you can see that it is blued. And surfaces that are blank have no signs of being nickelplated.
I cant see it good. Is the whole bolt blued or just the flutes? None really look nickle plated but they are. I believe the term Tomray used was "Electroless nickle plated" The first ones were chrome acording to things I'v read.
I think the reason for plateing them is blueing would wear off real quick & look like crap. I'm curious how the Henry bolts will look after a few years for that reason since theyre blued.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
jnicol6600 said:
Ya like putting a regular lever and a blued mag tube hanger on a sbl ;D. I saw a new stbl at a gun show that had a fluted xlr bolt in it instead of the one it should have. or maybe they just didnt care?
Kinda but different. None of the round bolts are blued so they'd have to actually make one special to install incorrectly. I'm going to have to find an XLR I guess to look at closer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,167 Posts
With regards to bluing stainless, I don't know what the process is, but a high carbon stainless steel can be "blued". Prior to 1969, ALL Remington M-700 barrels were stainless steel. But, just to look at them, their coloring is no different than their receivers, which are carbon steel. I don't know how it was done, but the results were great. Everything matched.

With regards to using a magnet, the high carbon stainless will attract a magnet no different than regular carbon steel. There might be a difference, but none that can be detected just by using a common magnet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,004 Posts
I just went down and checked my XLR (35 Rem).............the bolt is stainless, and it is blued. By the way, stainless can be blued very well and it will last a long time. A fella down in FL named George Roghaar (Boca Raton), does a heck of a job blueing stainless, amongst other types of refinishing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,094 Posts
There you have it then. Just so I understand, everything EXCEPT between the flutes is blued? Anybody got a pic?
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top