Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Calling all Hypen-ates...just picked up a New (older) MVA sight. Buddy bought it for a Winny (that he never did get) so sold it to me CHEAP!
Called and ordered the correct base for my 32-40 Marlin, (Whinny base for sale on another thread) mounted it (forwards and reversed). The bolt hits it every time...just enough so that it will hurt my new sight (eventualy) so, what say you...I do have a plan, involves removing about 1/16" from rear of bolt, but maybe there's something else I could try first.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I understand MVA does that very thing in some applications. Steve

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JB...I assure you, I do have the correct base. I did think about elongating the mounting holes but since the bolt (when in battery) protrudes from the rear of receiver a-bit more than an 1/8" removeing a 1/16th would'nt be noticeable and give me the clearance.

Reactions: Green Lizzard

·
Registered
910 Posts
1 big hole
we just mounted one on sgtdogs rifle last week (d&t fwd hole) but the rear hole was elongated already, is your rear hole already elongated?

·
Registered
910 Posts
oops sarges gun was an 1895 cowboy

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

I big hole,

My rifles have MVA sights and the bolt does not even come close to hitting. Hard to believe that you have the right base and the bolt hits the sight. Something isn't right. Pictures would help.

Does your MVA base look like this?

View attachment 104848

......and the installed sight look like this?

View attachment 104849

I hope that helps.

JB

·
Registered
33 Posts
JB,
What MVA number is the base that you show in the picture? I ordered the MVA base for a Marlin 1893 (as shown on their website) and I did not get a base that looks like the one in your picture. My bolt also hits the upright sight.

Peter in CA

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JB...the base you show is'nt the same as the one I received from MVA. Very nice sales woman helped and she knew her stuff, said that I needed the Ballard base. My 32-40 (1893) has many issues already but I'm slowly getting them sorted. First issue was a heavly leaded bore, second, a busted stock (on route), third, a broken ejector (still looking), and finally a factory drilled tang + two additional holes that have all been redrilled and retapped to 10/32. My new MVA base fits perfect after opening up the mounting holes, and making a pair of new screws. With the base in the reversed position the bolt just kisses the staff, but enough that reseting will be needed after each ejected round.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there Peter and 1 hole -- Jim is showing the correct base. It is the new Marlin 1895 base with the elongated rear hole. There is a bunch of information here: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/45-70-govt/107586-tang-sight.html The base in Jim's picture fits the Marlin 1895, 336 and 1893.

1 hole - If you haven't messed with your base, call Cheryl at MVA and see if she'll take the Ballard base back and send you a 1895 base.

Peter -- Can you post a picture of your base?

Aside from being struck by the bolt, you need to be aware the hammer over travel may strike the wrong base.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
4,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Wind...but that ship has sailed. I've already opened the mounting holes to fit 10/32 screws. I'll figure out a solution and post pics (with help) when every thing is done.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
This is certainly not the first time I have heard someone got the 1893 base for their 1893 and....the bolt hit the staff.

Almost two years ago I ordered (over the phone) and asked for a base for my 1893.

They sent me the 1893 base and...well the bolt hit the staff.

Sounds logical the 1893 base is for the 1893.

Nope... they took it back and gave me the 1895 base which worked well on my 1893....Hmmm?
After all this time they are still sending folks the 1893 base which is wrong for the 1893:questionmark:

Does the site still show the 1893 base for this rifle and its wrong?

How many have they had to swap back for customers so far and it hasn't rung a bell or anyone?

Sounds like the website needs an update and folks at MVA taking the orders need to get that straightened out.

Now I have to wonder how many people are unknowingly putting up with the bolt hitting the staff on their 1893 thinking they have the right base?

Evidently the 1893 base is not for the 1893.

Don't get me wrong MVA has excellent customer service and they will make it right, but I cant believe this is still going on!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Thanks Wind...but that ship has sailed. I've already opened the mounting holes to fit 10/32 screws. I'll figure out a solution and post pics (with help) when every thing is done.
You shouldn't have to figure out a solution!

I would send it back even if you did mess with the base. MVA needs to get this straightened out!

Explain to them that you were told this was the correct base and you thought that was just the way they were supposed to be....which you did!

Explain that you just tried to make it better.

At around $100 each of your hard earned cash you should not have to eat the wrong base...even if you did try to make it right.

Explain that now you are finding out that everyone else is having the same problem and they are sending everyone the wrong parts!

I'll bet they make it right for you! If not send them a link to this thread.

Best of luck and let us know what they say.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well now Lou -- THEY NEVER HAVE HAD A MARLIN 1893 BASE LISTED ON THEIR WEBSITE - EVER! Do your homework and get it right. There are many bases and ways to modify them yourself to make them work on rifles they were never designed for. The MVA website lists the bases they make and the rifles they fit. If you want to do something else, it's your responsibility to make it work NOT THEIRS. Best regards. Wind

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Well Wind I could have sworn they did state an Marlin 1893 base back when I ordered mine along with a ballard 1.125 base.

If I am wrong then I certainly apologize as it wouldn't be the first time.

The fact remains that I did ask over the phone and explained which rifle I had caliber hole spacing and all.

There certainly still seems to be some confusion on both ends on which to order.

Maybe some folks would chime in that got the wrong base?

If someone ordered the Ballard 1.125 base for a Model 1893 than that is certainly their mistake.

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Well boys and girls -- MVA lists two sight bases for "Marlins". The Ballard is a single shot - thus no bolt.

View attachment 104949

And the Marlin 1895 is a derivative of the 1893 and 336. Even then you were responsible to drill and tap both holes in the tang. If you wanted to put it on an 1893, then you just needed to drill one hole in the sight base.

View attachment 104950

MVA recently started to elongate the rear hole so it now fits an 1893 with no modification. This is the base in JB's photo.

Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts

My 93 has an older MVA sight base and the bolt does not contact the staff. I think that it is an older base because it does not look like the one that I pictured above. The one in my photo above is a new design that is made for several applications.

I am certain that if you work with MVA that they would make it right. They cannot help you if they don't know that you have a problem. Call them.

JB

·
Registered
8,700 Posts

My 93 has an older MVA sight base and the bolt does not contact the staff. I think that it is an older base because it does not look like the one that I pictured above. The one in my photo above is a new design that is made for several applications.

I am certain that if you work with MVA that they would make it right. They cannot help you if they don't know that you have a problem. Call them.

JB
Interesting JB. So they did sell at one time base that fit the 1893 at one time where the bolt didn't contact the staff.
I swore they stated a 1893 base at one time, but since I can't remember what I did yesterday I guess i'm wrong!:vollkommenauf:
After reading Winds post evidently I was sent the correct base.
I was just never told and if it was stated I never saw on the website I would have to modify it myself so the bolt would not contact the staff.

When I sent my base back MVA drilled an extra hole in the base to move it further back! NO CHARGE!:congrats:
They even sent me two sets of screws as the 8-40's seemed a tad small.:biggrin: NO CHARGE!:congrats:
Now that's what I call customer satisfaction. :biggrin:
Great folks.
I agree call MVA and talk to them i'm sure they will work it out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts