Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked around on the forum and have not seen this specific issue. New 1894 Lever action .44 mag. 1st 50rnds and a couple cleanings went great then it started to bind when cycling. Upon inspection it looks like the locking lug has dented into the receiver and mushroomed the material into the passageway of the bolt. I cannot send it back do to Ruger buying Marlins name. Has anybody seen this? Can I stone it smooth? Will it affect head spacing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Man. If factory loads were being fired... A heat treat problem on that particular receiver, maybe? My first thought is hot reloads, though. I'd measure head space, just to be sure. And check the bolt for similar deformation.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
+1. Hot reloads? Factory ammunition? Better take a headspace measurement. That does not look good.

·
Super Moderator
32,810 Posts
Wow! That don't look good at all!

ca'jun56

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
More background needed. Year of production? Date code(Rem/Marlin) or serial number(JM Marlin). Ammunition causing the setback? Rifle purchased new in box or used? Some history would be helpful.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Looks like excessive headspace or hot loads caused hammering of lug into receiver recess.

Reactions: rob42049

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New rifle, purchased about 7 months ago. Only fired factory rounds bought from rural king.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
It could be a couple of issues. Headspace was not ok from Remington and stout factory loads peened the receiver. Or factory loads were way too hot and peened your receiver. Even if you stone down the peened receiver, if you continue to use full power factory loads it will continue to get worse. I would bump down to 44 special loads. You could get it fixed by a gunsmith, but it's going to cost more than a new gun.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
Brand of factory loads? Remington, Winchester, Federal, Hornady?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Sorry to say but looks like Remlin struck again. Likely either incorrect fitting of locking lug/receiver or incorrect heat treatment.
The way the receiver mushroomed like that definitely looks like incorrect heat treat. Remington was such a sorry company.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
That could have happened at the factory. Failed proof test but not bad enough to be observed.
You should be able to see a flat primer or a big difference in the primer if it was the factory ammo. I would not shoot it until a good gunsmith looked it over. Check headspace and I would want to see if the chamber was bulged. If it was from the factory ammo it would have been very noticeable when you shot it.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
I don't think that even hot 44mag loads could mushroom receiver metal because 44mag pressures are max 36,000 psi. Marlin receivers are supposed to handle 40K + psi. You may have a soft receiver because based on the pic the bolt does not look like it distorted----the mushrooming looks to be on the top of the receiver bolt slot. Also, I noticed a difference on your Remlin serial number as it was laser etched. I have an early Remlin and the serial number was stamped and not laser etched. I think my receiver was a left over Marlin made one that was stamped with a Rem serial number as this is a 308mx.You could find a gunsmith that has an electric heat treat furnace and he could heat treat the receiver to the proper hardness then test RC hardness. I would not shoot it anymore as you will further damage the receiver. I've seen where the mushroom metal was peened back down (instead of filed away) then the part was properly heat treated. When you peen metal back you are not removing it.

·
Super Moderator
9,297 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am prob just gonna hang this one up and call it a loss. Never had so much trouble with a new (or used) rifle. 1st Marlin I ever purchased and I hope Ruger does better with them.
If you do decide to pursue a private gunsmith fix and he does have the capability to check metal hardness have him check some of the other major parts too----like the lever, bolt, etc. May have other soft parts if Remington dropped the ball on QA.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't think that even hot 44mag loads could mushroom receiver metal because 44mag pressures are max 36,000 psi. Marlin receivers are supposed to handle 40K + psi. You may have a soft receiver because based on the pic the bolt does not look like it distorted----the mushrooming looks to be on the top of the receiver bolt slot. Also, I noticed a difference on your Remlin serial number as it was laser etched. I have an early Remlin and the serial number was stamped and not laser etched. I think my receiver was a left over Marlin made one that was stamped with a Rem serial number as this is a 308mx.You could find a gunsmith that has an electric heat treat furnace and he could heat treat the receiver to the proper hardness then test RC hardness. I would not shoot it anymore as you will further damage the receiver. I've seen where the mushroom metal was peened back down (instead of filed away) then the part was properly heat treated. When you peen metal back you are not removing it.
So you have seen this before? I like the peening and re-heat treating idea.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
So you have seen this before? I like the peening and re-heat treating idea.
It was rumored years ago that Remington changed the heat treat process, didn't heat treat certain parts any longer, or a combination of both. I think this was especially true of the 1894. I don't know if true or not, but I do know Adam at RPP stopped taking in 1894's from Remington to do his mods with.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts