Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my favorite gun shop the other day just wasting my lunch our looking at bolt guns. All of the ceterfire bolt guns seem to be really easy to cycle compared to the rimfires. I have always noticed a difference in the two but finally wondered why that is. I'm sure there is a reason, if any of you know please educate me.

·
Premium Member
10,942 Posts
Marlin took great interest in getting the XL-7's to cycle smoothly...............We didn't take the same interest in the rimfire rifles.....................Time = dollars.............I'm sure you know the drill........

PS........a little rubbing compound in the action will smooth it out, pretty quickly........just wash and blow it all out when you're through..............

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
prob a combo, of what Tomray mentions, and nobody ever cleans a 22! My Ruger MKII finally wouldn't cycle at all. Had to strip it and scrub the heck out of it. No idea when I did it last because 1) I am lazy and 2) that gun is a ROYAL PITA to field strip!

·
Premium Member
18,025 Posts
I'd think it's just a matter of wider tolerances, to accomodate larger cartridges. Bolt actions based on the Mauser pattern (which is most of them) need a little slop in the bolt, a little wiggle room, to help get those long cartridges to feed several inches into the chamber. With rimfires, it's usually a pretty short trip from the mag to the barrel, so tolerances can be a lot smaller, hence they bind more easily. And as was said, most folks don't spend a lot of time on maintenance with their 22's, so the guns are often dry and gummed up. There's also a lot less polishing involved in the bolt rails, most rimfires look like they were machined, deburred (a little) and plated or painted. Centerfires at least get a bit more cosmetic attention, because the areas in question are so much bigger.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I had a Kimber HS and the bolt was slick as any center fire. My cooper is good but the Kimber was better. Both will move all the way back if you pull the bolt handle up and point muzzle up. Pull the bolt to the rear tilt muzzle down they will go all the way forward.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one thing that I have found in the Marlin rimfires that I have owned is the ejecter wire sticking up under the bolt is either a little missaligned or bent up too high, causing a bind where it seats into the bolt. Easy fix to make the bolt smoother operating. Light file on end of the wire and slight bend to correct the bind. That is a little thing but it sure can make a difference in the bolts action. Quick

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Due to the cost of hand-fitting at the factory, its more cost-effective to let the owners mess with the rimfires...
especially since they build them like Main Battle Tanks...you will NEVER wear a Marlin out....you might shoot the barrel out after 50K rounds.

On the upside, like Tomray said, a little compound & working the action while watching TV will smooth it out overnight :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts