Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my friend wants me to sell a bolo knife from ww 2. How should I go about this? It is a U.S.M.C. Village Blacksmith. The knife and scabbard is in very good shape but not pristine. What say you?:questionmark:

·
Registered
20,530 Posts
Post up some pics and a price...simple!

·
Premium Member
9,038 Posts
Is anything missing?, Is anything broke? Is what is broke repairable? All should be a factor as well as 'this is really cool and I gottahavit". We're guys, we don't need any better reason than that, ROFL!

Honestly, without researching it, I don't know what the pricing per condition is on these, I haven't seen one for awhile now. It could be a decent investment depending on price. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: Angus1895

·
Registered
214 Posts
Man, oh man.
I had one of those when I was a kid. I probably paid a couple dollars for it. But a couple dollars in the 1950's was real money.
I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
My buddy who is 76 years old and was in the Marines had a knie that was issued to them when he was in the service. It was a bolo type knife that according to him was used in the field for amputations and so on and was used by medics as well. He sold his at a gunshow for 100 dollars. It may or may not be the type you are referring to but it was a big and heavy rounded tip bolo with sheath.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
My wifes family and damn near every family I ever met in the Philippines has a Bolo.
They literally use them for everything.
If our Marines got them then it was Philippine related.
I've seen them slice the pigs throat, gut the animal, carve it up after it's cooked
and then eat the pig all with the same knife!
That was when I was on Leyte.

Over there you can buy them for not a lot of money unless they are very
fancy.

Oh I forgot to add that if you mess with someones daughter you can expect to
be chased by an angry Filipino father wielding one.
Yes they do have Bolo weddings since they don't have shotguns. :flute:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep that is the knife I will have to tell him it is not as valuable as we once believed. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
They may not be valuable but they sure come in handy.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I saw a guy at a gun show with 2 butterfly knives that he said he had picked up in the Phillipines in WW2 . These were not like the cheap repoductions you see for sell, these were the real deal. Everything about these 2 knives radiated quality. The guy said when you bought one for 75 cents the man selling them would stab the knife into a block of wood and show you that the blade did not turn. I don't know if he sold them or not but I do remember he wanted quite a bit for the knives.

·
Registered
559 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I saw a guy at a gun show with 2 butterfly knives that he said he had picked up in the Phillipines in WW2 . These were not like the cheap repoductions you see for sell, these were the real deal. Everything about these 2 knives radiated quality. The guy said when you bought one for 75 cents the man selling them would stab the knife into a block of wood and show you that the blade did not turn. I don't know if he sold them or not but I do remember he wanted quite a bit for the knives.

I know in some places in the Philippines they make really great butterfly knives.
The places that I lived and traveled to when there didn't have them but then
again I wasn't looking
I've heard of the quality blades, bringing them back is a hassle because they
will probably get stolen at the airport in your check in luggage.
They stole a lot of chocolate last time I went.

You can buy almost anything you want there but getting it here is tough.

There are guys who make quality leather goods and even Pool sticks that
rival the ones you pay over $1k USD for here.

You could have a really nice cowboy holster made over there for much less
than over here and it would last forever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I need to find a decent Pinoy Bolo one of these days...
Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts