Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Serial number isn't on the left side of the receiver like it should be for a Cowboy. Possibly one of the "Cowboy Conversions" that Marlin did 8-10 years ago. Send 'em in your older rifle and they'd put a Cowboy barrel, mag tube and fore arm on it for you. Best as I remember it cost about $350 to get one converted and you'd have to wait behind warranty work. Fat chance of getting Remington to do one.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes It could be a Marlin conversion. It is a pre safety receiver also. Very nice rifle but for sure it is not a Marlin 1894 cowboy limited as advertised!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
It looks like a real nice factory conversion. If ya want a .357, there it is. Not priced too too bad. If I really wanted one I would get this one. A couple of years ago I bought a new shorter barrel .357 Mag CB off of GB for 700.00. That scratched my itch for the .357. It is a very fine shooter, slicked up very nicely.

·
Registered
8,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Someone contacted him? He states the mistake in his ad now. Honest seller!

I saw this was his second time on GB with this one, no bites. I think most know the difference now.

I would hate unknowingly buy it and find out later its a conversion.

BTW there's nothing wrong with a conversion. I like pre CBS!

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
would not bother me to buy a conversion................I had 2 made myself, 30-30 and 38-55. Wish I'd sent in the 44 mag too.

Original Cowboys will have SN on left side of receiver, blued trigger and CBS.

I do agree that it should be known that it is not original production.

Papalote

·
Super Moderator
9,322 Posts
Right there Papalote. If it is a conversion one can be certain it was done by a pre-Remington factory. Might even be better than a genuine CB since it would likely have gotten individual attention rather than conventional assembly. Don't know, I'm just assuming.

·
Premium Member
7,693 Posts
MO member Georgeky ( may have that misspelled) Got the very last Cowboy conversion Marlin made before moving. George has not been on for A while now. Hope he is getting well!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts