·
Registered
10,844 Posts
Reactions: Texas Shooter

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok this is a little different but what do you think of the Henry Long Ranger?
I think it is the most desirable lever rifle for hunting that is currently being manufactured. - T.S.

·
Super Moderator
23,665 Posts
I think it is the most desirable lever rifle for hunting that is currently being manufactured. - T.S.
Yep---but the Savage 99 is still better!

·
Registered
210 Posts
In my own opinion, I would be over the moon if Savage would start making new 99's!
I'm sure they could come up with cost savings to make them, somehow.
There are a lot of new bolt rifles that incorporate a detachable rotary magazine, and the modern materials could be used in said magazines.
Plus, there is a plethora of new cartridges that would fit the bill for a new 99, as well.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

·
Registered
616 Posts
My first rifle was a “new” 99c in .308 with the clip. Killed a bunch of deer, but had accuracy issues. Always wanted a old one with the rotary mag. Would have as much interest in a new one as I do in a new remlin, henry or Mirkou Winchester. Meaning none.
Someday I’ll get a old .250 or .300 99, they are real common here in PA. Not a thing the modern trendy cartridges like the 6.5 can do in the PA deer woods that these old cartridges have done for almost 100 years.

·
Premium Member
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In my own opinion, I would be over the moon if Savage would start making new 99's!
I'm sure they could come up with cost savings to make them, somehow.
There are a lot of new bolt rifles that incorporate a detachable rotary magazine, and the modern materials could be used in said magazines.
Plus, there is a plethora of new cartridges that would fit the bill for a new 99, as well.

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk
Savage would have to design/build all new machinery to manufacture new 99s. Current technology would probably reduce or maybe even eliminate the need for hand-fitting that the originals required. I guess Savage could affix the barrels using barrel nuts to avoid labor intense head spacing. Even so, I doubt the market is there. Sure, we old guys love the 99s but these younger shooters are enamored with "black rifles", pseudo-sniper bolt actions, configurable stocks, personal modifications that may enhance performance (but it must look cool!), etc. ad nauseam.

As there are still a lot of 99s floating around, I would like to see some enterprising gunsmiths start buying them up, refurbishing them, re-barreling some to today's trendy cartridges, offering color case hardened receivers, levers, butt plates, finely figured and hand checkered buttstocks/forearms...............a la Doug Turnbull.

T.S.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts