Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do I talk myself into boat projects? Seriously.... I should know better....

A "reasonably priced" boat that is well maintained and has no big problems is a WAY better deal than a nearly "free" boat full of problems......

And I should know this.... It's the same with everything... A rusty old semi-disassembled 336 costs WAY more than somebody's closet queen if you have to fix anything...

And so here I am.... Coming into the home stretch on this round of Boat Project.... And I *only* have about $1500 into it (counting the boat)... I have done everything myself... If I paid somebody - yikes!! easily double that... In reality - I am guessing another $400 to go to *actually* get it out on the water - seats, battery, fire extinguisher, anchor, and such... Perhaps $400-500 for a decent trolling motor....

And I could get one of these basically ready to go used around $3,000.... Which is close to where this will shake out in the end.... Groan!!!

Here is where I started.... That wheel barrow contains *half* the junk I shovelled out of the bottom of the boat..... Vehicle Boat trailer Trailer Lawn Yard

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
I have seen it all, worked for two boat dealers, seen lots of junk, with serious structure problems, mostly fiberglass boats
With rotten transome' s, from holes drilled in it, and not properly seald.
Good luck ,with your new boat enjoy.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
Its been said that the happiest days of your life is when you BUY a boat, and then when you SELL your boat. :embarassed:

I NEVER bought a boat and don't regret it.

For me it would be a small Camper. In my neck of the woods, I see campers sitting on people's property and NEVER used. Month after month, year after year. So......I car Camp with a tent. Its paid for and ready to go anytime I am going. The added Bonus I get for NOT buying a Camper is I have more $$$$ to buy rifles, ammo, and accessories! :dancing2:

Mike T.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
That there boat looks a bit like a sneak box.

Honestly, I don't think you were looking for a boat as much as you were looking for a project. I'm like that. I like to buy abused stuff (not ruined, just used hard) and fix it up.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Last year our 1992 Northwood 16' 7" boat needed a few deck boards replaced that were rotten. Before I knew it we were down it the hull. So, a week and a half ago we started with the bare hull. We've got most everything cut out, the deck is in, and coated in white truck bed liner, flotation foam poured, new water pump in the outboard. Going back out in a bit to coat 10 more boards with fiberglass resin so we can coat them with white truck bed liner later. Hopefully it'll do better with rot than the carpet did.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,963 Posts
Last year our 1992 Northwood 16' 7" boat needed a few deck boards replaced that were rotten. Before I knew it we were down it the hull. So, a week and a half ago we started with the bare hull. We've got most everything cut out, the deck is in, and coated in white truck bed liner, flotation foam poured, new water pump in the outboard. Going back out in a bit to coat 10 more boards with fiberglass resin so we can coat them with white truck bed liner later. Hopefully it'll do better with rot than the carpet did.
She is looking good

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
I graduated from power boats to kayaks - no maintenance, a reliable power supply, no extra insurance, no big marine gas tank to fill, and no trailer. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
She is looking good
Thanks, It cleaned up well. Had my son pressure wash it out for that picture. Here's a pic of the deck screwed down and ready for the flotation foam to be poured in. There were originally 14 two inch holes in the deck that the foam was poured through. So I copied the hole pattern when tracing out the deck boards. Some of the upper deck or rod storage boards were really bad and basically fell apart when removed. There were 4 boards that were still good, one on the console, the bow deck which was replaced due to a reconfigure and two boards back around the battery compartment. I ended up spraying on white truck bed liner with anti-slip grit in it. Going to spray the last 10 boards in the morning. It takes a few hours to set up well enough to walk on, and a day before use. If we can get them sprayed in the morning then hopefully we can get them put in tomorrow afternoon and wrap up the rehab.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bust out another thousand sounds about right.

The sad part about this boat is that the vast majority of the trouble with the hull would have been prevented with a $20 trailer tongue jack... Or even a couple cement blocks, bricks, or a saw horse to get the nose up and water draining out... It's sad that it's this simple..... Or go completely nuts and spend $50 on a few tarps, some bungee cords, and rummage up some scrap plywood.. But I suppose that's not the point of neglect now is it...

·
Premium Member
All kinds. Enamored of their mechanisms! Worked as an engineering
12,658 Posts
Happiest days of a boat owner:

The day I bought her, and the day I sold her.

Difference between a boat and a ship? As schooled to me by an old, grizzled, curmudgeon, **** @ss chief engineer:

A boat carries people in it. They are often named after women.

A ship carries boats. Supposedly some kind of Freudian subliminal suggestion.

AC

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
When a Hobby takes more work than it produces enjoyment, its time of find a different Hobby. Now, I understand the need for a few different types of boat that a Fish Head needs. I had a good friend of mine that could catch Fish in waters where everyone else said there were "No fish". He had several different size boats, and used both of them. He never spent much $$$ on them and when they outlived their usefulness, he gave them away and bought a replacement on the cheap. The only one that had more $$$$ than him was the Federal Reserve, cause he saved it instead of spending it. He caught a lot of fish, and didn't spend more than he could BUY Fish in the market. Smart guy that is no longer with us. :frown:

I always admired people that were frugal and never went without. :star:

Mike T.

·
Premium Member
10,537 Posts
I had a boat back in the 80s just like that one. I bought it in Georgetown SC it was called a "bug buster" it was a copy of the old "skeeter boat" it was a good boat in being stable, you could not turn it over, but it didn't have a lot of room and the stick steering was not the best thing in the world for tight quarter fishing,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep - it's a bug buster. Good little river fishing and duck hunting boat.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things - I will still come out ahead on this one vs many boats new... And I can have a lot of fun in it... The other Neighbor picked up a nice 20-ft fishing boat used... Only set him back 25-large. So yeah... I do cheap seats fishing compared to him.

I guess what I am thinking about is that it won't really be a good *family* fishing boat... It's good me + 1 other person fishing boat... Should have picked up a used Toon project for that - but a bird in the hand is what it is... And I have cash-flowed this whole project... But once it's together and running - I will use it the rest of the season (at least) and then maybe see if I can run a trade with somebody who is looking to downsize.. Because there are always plenty of guys looking go get rid of a bigger boat and move back down to a small one once the kids are grown...

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I once had a 12 foot flat bottomed aluminum boat with an Elgin 6HP motor. The Elgin did not have a gearbox. Just wrap the starter cord and pull. Off you went. Only trouble I ever had with it was replacing an impeller. I would like to have it back.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I have 2 sailboats and 2 canoes. Seems the smaller the boat the more it gets used. I did have the 15' sailboat out this afternoon and had my 17' Grumman canoe out last weekend. Need to find time to give my 22' sailboat some love but it takes longer to set up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.