Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on a project rifle, 39A Golden, Take Down. Its a shooter so its got some rust, bluing is thin in a lot of places, and the stock will need refinishing.

Right now its disassembled and I am thinking of using a Bluing product called "Wonder Blue A or Wonder Black A. I have looked at the Birchwood Casey product, but they look cheese.

My question, has any one reblued their 336 with the Wonder Blue products? Were the results better than expected? What is the consensus on the forum for a Bluing Product to remove rust and provide a better than Factory finish on the rifle parts?

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
DP, i don't have an answer to your question about wonder blue, and at the risk of taking off on a rabbit trail, maybe you will find this of interest...

I read an article on Beartooth Bullets about blueing with potassium nitrate found in commercial stump remover... I have not tried it, but the pictures of the results are intriguing... the bit about the bluing is down about halfway in the article...

here is the link to the article...

https://beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/archive_tech_notes.htm/58

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks PV,

Now all I have to do is find a pan long enough to put barrels in it.

Reactions: papa vid

·
Premium Member
2,442 Posts
DP.. how about a chafing dish... if my figuring is correct... should be able to fit up to a 24" barrel sans receiver.. but it's early and my figurer may not be up to snuff...

here's a link to a relatively inexpensive one... Chafing Dish | 8 Qt. Economy Stainless Steel Chafer

·
Registered
45 Posts
DP.. how about a chafing dish... if my figuring is correct... should be able to fit up to a 24" barrel sans receiver.. but it's early and my figurer may not be up to snuff...

here's a link to a relatively inexpensive one... Chafing Dish | 8 Qt. Economy Stainless Steel Chafer
Do you think the ethanol gel would melt the nitre or would another heat source be needed? I have a project rifle to work on and this site has provided answers to every question I've had so far.

·
Premium Member
14,141 Posts
Nitre bluing is meant to be used on smaller parts like screws. It wont hold up long on the whole gun.

Here is a link explaining the different types of bluing. Ron?s Gun Shop. Gun bluing and gun metal finishes for antique and custom guns.

As to the Wonder Blue, I bought some but haven't used it yet. On my last project I used Brownels Oxy-Blue. Looks pretty good, a lot better than the Burch-wood Casey's Super Blue.

The stuff I want to try, and would have bought already, if I had remembered to go back to his table at the last gun show, is Van's bluing. They had a better price at the show.
I tried rubbing off with steel wool, and I couldn't touch it. But it can be ordered on line.
Gun Bluing Made Easy With Van's Instant Gun Blue!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The stuff I want to try, and would have bought already, if I had remembered to go back to his table at the last gun show, is Van's bluing. They had a better price at the show.
I tried rubbing off with steel wool, and I couldn't touch it. But it can be ordered on line.
Gun Bluing Made Easy With Van's Instant Gun Blue!
That looks like even I could do a decent job with it. I may give that a try. Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I, too, did a consumers research into home bluing. I decided upon Art's Belgian Blue from Midway. Larry Potterfield has a Youtube video on it and I was impressed. As for a pan, I used a 10' gutter cut down to 4' and used JB Weld to secure end caps in place. Total cost was less than $10. Worked great. Barrel suspended in tank.JPG I then used my wife's stove for a heat source, sans grates: Boiiling the barrel.JPG The results were astounding! Here is a before/after of my blued barrel: Model 80 Barrel Rust - Before.JPG Model 80 Barrel rust - After.JPG Blued Barrel 1.JPG I believe the excellent result is all in the preparation of the barrel. I stropped it with 400 and then 600 grit paper. A thorough degreasing with denatured alcohol (non-petroleum product) is essential. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Reactions: jml

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Reactions: Schtoolee
1 - 13 of 13 Posts