Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Blued vs Stainless

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seems to me that most of us will have a preferance either way in favour of blued or stainless. I prefer the look of fine blueing but I prefer the "sometimes not always" lower maintenance of stainless. I know I won't be unique in my preferance but I sure would like to know the general consensus.

Hope I can make this poll thing work :hmmmm:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I own some of each, all purchased with different uses in mind. In all practicality I believe either properly maintained will do well. Sometimes it's just how it looks.

·
Super Moderator
11,837 Posts
I have a few blued guns but own far more stainless guns. I guess I like the look more.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I own some of each, all purchased with different uses in mind. In all practicality I believe either properly maintained will do well. Sometimes it's just how it looks.
Hey Bluegrass, I kind of agree but not 100%. For example, all but two of my rifles are stainless, all but 1 of my hand-cannons is stainless and my only shotgun is blued. Blue is old-world, old-school, olden time & traditional. On the other hand, I respect what you are saying & where you are coming from.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I respect the utility of stainless, it's the reason I went with a SS bbl on my SPR. Stainless is second to none for certain applications like the 870 Marine Magnum. But the fact is, it pales in comparison to the beauty and tradition of deep blued steel married to wood furniture.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I prefer stainless........dreaming of returning to the corrosive but free state of Florida!

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I don't own any type of rifle in stainless steel, mine are all blued... most of my handguns are too, but do have a couple I bought used that happened to be in stainless. I don't have anything against the SS though, some look really nice, and have thought of adding one for harsher weather; in snow, rain, etc., for extended periods. I might add, for some reason I also think the SS rifles with walnut stocks are more appealing to me than the gray laminate ones are though; it's all personal preferences... :)

Reactions: GrumpyBear

·
Premium Member
10,681 Posts
Blued, however I wouldn't throw away a 336 30-30 stainless in Walnut. :flute:
Nah......I wouldn't either.......................I'd just trade it for a Blue Gun!...................

Seriously,................The 400 series Stainless Steel used in Firearms WILL Rust, if not cared for ..................The only advantage to Stainless is , it's easier to touch up a scratch or a ding.......

Aside from that, its only a color choice, to me...................

Others may feel differently...................

Tom

·
Premium Member
10,681 Posts
Either is fine with me but so many stainless guns are to shiny and for me, that's a deal breaker.
Now, there's a plus for the stainless firearm.............If it's too shiney, just have it Bead or Vapor Blasted to a dull finish...........that Blasted finish will hold oil better, too.............

I have a 1911 Carbon Pistol that is Blued, with the sides of the slide polished into the White................' Never had any rust issues since I built it in about 1986........

Tom

·
Super Moderator
15,611 Posts
I prefer my Rifles & Shotguns Blued; Handguns Stainless.

Reactions: Just Plain .22

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Most of mine are BLUE!, I have one stainless/synthetic rifle, two rifles that are blue and stainless:hmmmm: four stainless hand guns, three of them have blue/black accents, I think they look good the way Ruger made them.:shot:

·
Registered
726 Posts
I took to stainless when I used to spend a lot of time in the back country. My rifle would go weeks at a time in the back county with my only shelter being a tarp. A rifle exposed to the weather that way, rain, snow, fog and everything in between can get rusty. Stainless is more rust resistant than blue and that is the only reason I took to stainless. I don't do the wilderness adventures anymore and most of my hunting is right out the back door but I still hunt all weather and stainless synthetic is still my first choice for foul weather. Wood swells and blue rusts quicker.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
For Me, Blued Steel & Walnut.
None of Mine are Plastic OR Stainless.
Ahhh, The Beauty of Old School Craftsmanship.
UncleSarge58

·
Registered
13,637 Posts
I had one rifle built with premium stainless barrel. Had it sent away and plated so it could be blued. All my guns are blue & Walnut.
Long guns & handguns.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts