Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to load up some 270gr Speers for my Super Blackhawk. I am considering Blue Dot or IMR4227 but am not sure as to which one. The Speer manual I have lists.
IMR4227 toping out at 1182 fps with 20.5gr. This is in the velocities I am looking for.
It does not list Blue Dot for this load. The reason I am wondering is I have access to all the Blue Dot I can use. Has anyone used Blue Dot for 270gr Jacketed bullets running them around 1200 fps.

Thanks,
Shampe Hunter

·
Registered
363 Posts
Shampe Hunter, I've been using Blue Dot for quite awhile in my .41 Magnum. 14 grains behind a 265 grains Beartooth Bullet, gives me about 1,100 FPS in my 6" bbl S&W 57.

I also use 15 grains Blue Dot with a 250 grains bullet in .44 Mag. Haven't chrono'd it but it is very accurate. Definitely puts the hurt on coyotes!

Good luck. L.W.

·
Premium Member
18,030 Posts
One caution when using Blue Dot.......work your loads up carefully, and start over every time you buy a new lot of powder. There seems to be a lot of variation from lot to lot, and I found out the hard way with some formerly tame loads in a 357. The primers fell out of their pockets when I emptied the gun! :shock: WOW! That'll get your attention pretty quick, if the recoil doesn't. Be safe and have fun!

Papajohn

1 - 3 of 3 Posts