Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone:

Today I took my BLR .308Win to the range. I had zeroed the scope on the rifle a week or two ago. She has a regular mounted Nikon Bucksmaster 4.5-14x40mm.
I wanted to check two things: how it holded the zero and what the effect of taking down the barrel for cleaning was.
This time I took with me my own bench rest, a very sturdy one. I shot at 50 meters, using pistol targets, to do the tests.
I shot four rounds of three from the rest. Amazing groups, even for the distance, right on the 10 circle. So, holding zero not a problem.
Then I took the barrel down, cleaned it up and put it back on, again. I did the same shooting routine, four rounds of three shots. In average, the point of impact moved 1 inch to the right.
Although I had expected this to happen, I was dissapointed. I suppose the tight lock of the barrel is not THAT tight.

Questions:

1) Does this happen to all?. This means cleaning the gun before a hunt, zero it and don't clean again until you come back.:vollkommenauf:

2) Is a scout scope, mounted forward over the barrel, a real option for 200-300 meters shots? :hmmmm:

Well, after the experiment, I re-zeroed the scope and went to the 100 and 200 range. It was fun and did very well.

Thanks for your comments

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
My 358 BLR takedown holds about an inch between takedowns with scope mounted on reciever. No need for rezeroing though as the point of impact really stays the same. I figure an inch for a takedown rifle is all I can ask. There's no way I would clean a gun right before a hunt anyway. Get it dialed in and leave it till after the hunt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts