Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the skinner express sight for my brothers steel receivered browing blr. Well it shoots like 18 inches high at 50 yards with the factory front sight, rear peep is down as far as it will go. Now I did the calculation to figure out how much sight change is needed and I came up with .23 of change needed. The factory front sight is .430 from bottom of dovetail to the top of the sight. So my question is do we need to get a front sight that is like .6" tall?

·
Wrangler
395 Posts
If you did your ciphers right, that sounds plausible. Skinner has a front sight calculator page, which may be where you got your figures. Recheck your math and go for it.

·
Registered
20,512 Posts
Just got the skinner express sight for my brothers steel receivered browing blr. Well it shoots like 18 inches high at 50 yards with the factory front sight, rear peep is down as far as it will go. Now I did the calculation to figure out how much sight change is needed and I came up with .23 of change needed. The factory front sight is .430 from bottom of dovetail to the top of the sight. So my question is do we need to get a front sight that is like .6" tall?
:vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf::vollkommenauf: :biggrin:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So we practiced some ******* ingenuity and basically taped a piece of cardboard to the existing front sight and shot the gun again and kept trimming down the cardboard till we were hitting the bulls-eye. Then measured from bottom of the dovetail and came up with .580 so probably just order a new fiber optic front sight, and be ready for November.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Cripe, I just picked up a steel BLR for my brother in 358 WIN, he's gonna put a skinner on his also, but the front sight on this gun looks dam tall to me.
I'll have to measure it and see if we can learn from your process, thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the front sight looked fairly tall on this one too but it wasn't quite enough, it's a 308win Belgium built one. We didn't have any duct at the ready but the blue painters tape worked pretty good though, hahaha.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Front sight height is such a variable. My BLR in 308 came in with the factory front sight.

instead of tape and cardboard, try a plastic zip tie. Put it around the muzzle and bend the tail straight up. Clip It off until you are sighted in, measure, order front sight height accordingly.

Hope that helps.

Andy

Reactions: Sparky civil

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zip ties, Genius!!!! Andy, have to compliment you on the sight, the fit and finish is beautiful, and looks great on the rifle.

·
Vendor
1,941 Posts
Zip ties are cheap but work in a pinch. I had a friend who used pipe cleaners and black tape. I think zip ties are easier and more durable.

Glad you like the sight! We like making them!

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts