Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always jones'd for a BLR in .358 - I always figured that was perfect balance of power in a levergun.
So this weekend I spotted a BLR in a LGS in .308. Hmmm that ain't a bad cartridge either.
Things I didn't like is it has that grey synthetic wood stock stuff and looks like it's stainless so a tad heavy.
I think the newer ones have aluminum receivers? So stainless would be a good thang actually.
Skinner peep sight and a rail mounted. I think it comes with a scope...
Asking price was $900 which isn't too bad from prices I've seen...
Opinions - especially on the .308 aspect?

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a Savage 99 in 308 Win and never look back..............
Hmmm - y'know, I dunno why I've never considered a Savage 99. Likely because I never run into one.
Didn't they stop making these in the 80's or something like that?
Advantages over BLR?

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh - and I think the reason this thing has the grey laminate stock and rail is it might be the takedown model...

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
For me--the Savage 99 balances and handles much better than any BLR that I have used. The Mod 99 rotary mag has never failed me either--seems to be less finicky with different bullet types than my box mag Winnie Mod 88 308 Win and various BLRs that I have borrowed. The BLR can definitely shoot and will work just fine--the Savage 99 works much better for me.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I had a BLR in 308. Liked it okay, but it never shot great for me. Maybe it just didn't like my ammo. I also don't like that you aren't supposed to tear it down, fairly complex rack system to operate the bolt and they tell you just to flush it will cleaner. Mine also didn't want to close all the way with some ammo. May of been a head space issue. I was shooting some Lake City ammo and had a base blow out on the brass. I had to squeeze the lever pretty firmly to close the action. Anyway, when the base blew out the gases came back through the bolt and out the gap around the firing pin. It kind of burnt my cheek a little, thank God I had eye protection on, could of done some damage there. Anyway, I don't hunt wearing eye protection and the gun always made me uncomfortable after that incident so I traded it for an A-Bolt Slug gun. Now I am back to Marlin and loving it.

I think RE makes a good point of getting a 99. My buddy likes his a lot. A Savage in 300 savage is pretty similar ballistic wise, just saying. Only issue I had with a 99 is scope mounting. Guess it depends how you want to use it. My eyes aren't good enough to shoot iron sights anymore.

At any rate, I hope you find what you want! If you want the BLR, go for it.

V

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For me--the Savage 99 balances and handles much better than any BLR than I have used. The Mod 99 rotary mag has never failed me either--seems to be less finicky with different bullet types than my box mag Winnie Mod 88 308 Win and various BLRs that I have borrowed. The BLR can definitely shoot and will work just fine--the Savage 99 works much better for me.
My understanding is the rotary magazine is only in the really old ones.
I suppose there's some site out there that will tell me all about 'em ;)

Reactions: gunscrewguy

·
Super Moderator
26,131 Posts
My understanding is the rotary magazine is only in the really old ones.
I suppose there's some site out there that will tell me all about 'em ;)
Savage made the Mod 99E with the rotary mag up to about the very end of Mod 99 production in the 1980s.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a few BLR's and a bunch of 99's. I hoped the BLR's would provide a new source of a reliable 'long range' (pointy bullet) lever action. The BLR's need to be kept very clean and wet with oil to function. I have a stainles BLR 325 that will lock up if degreased, without a cartridge in it! A trip to Browning customer service was a waste of my time and shipping dollars. I guess thwy squirted oil into and said OK fine. The BLR's I have acquired all have unpleasant trigger pulls that are essentially unmanageable without a sturdy benchrest. I have disassembled and reassembled several BLR's. It is a miserable, complex, difficult and lengthy process. A Savage 99 is a very simple assembly to detail strip and reassemble, no worse than a Marlin 336. The lever safety 99's can be stoned and polished to 3-3.5 lbs without difficulty, the tang safety models cane be stoned and polished to under 3lbs. The detachable magazine 99 is much lower production than the rotary magazine models. A good hunting condition 99 can be found for much less than a BLR. Look for a tang safety, rotary magazine, featherwight barrel .308. I have 3(?) feathweweight 99's, 2 tang safety and a lever safety, all will go MOA with good handloads. My wife's featherweight .243 is a 3/4 MOA rifle. I have looked at the Henry Long Ranger, But I have multiple .308 and .243 lever guns. After hunting season I may NEED a .223 Long Ranger from Santa, just because. I just don't trust a BLR for tough conditions or field shooting.

·
Administrator
30,804 Posts
SAV 99 have good triggers where BLR's trigger leave everything to be desired, IOW, they're terrible. Worse, not much can be done with them and what can be done falls short of acceptable.

I love 35 cal but if you're entertaining a BLR in 308WIN, I'd consider the Henry Long Range which has a good trigger and appears to be a BLR clone.

Then again, I'd prefer a SAV 99 the same as Jay does.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
12,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see what y'all mean - the Savages are more plentiful and cheaper by a long shot. Plus wood.
I don't mind character bumps and bruises. Hmmmm - Now I'll have to go on the prowl - y'all done talked me out of the BLR ;)
But - that's why I love this forum - good folks looking out for each other :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have a BLR 81 in 30-06. It is a really nice gun to look at, but my personal opinion is that the 99 Savage is a much more handy and practical rifle for me. The BLR has many good attributes such as lock up and probably the slickest action you will find anywhere. The cons on the older BLRs are that they are heavy and do not point as well as the lighter and balanced 99's.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Big difference in quality of the new BLR’s and the old ones that were Belgium made. Old ones have steel receivers, much better wood. If you look at a new one beside an old Belgium model, no comparison in my opinion. The same, but two different guns.

·
Super Moderator
5,414 Posts
I was talked out of the BLR last week, started looking for Savage 99F in 308. And what do I do, I buy a 308MXLR off of M1Riflenut. I’m like a kid in the candy shop. Everything looks so good and I want it all. Lot of good advice from some well seasoned individuals on here.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
BLRs are a good rifle. Most have a poor trigger some have a good trigger. A friend had one that had a good trigger and it would drive tacks. It was a 7mm rem may and was big and cumbersome.

Savage 99s are great and you can still pick them up on gunbroker or in local shops if you get lucky. Plus they are a classic. I have been wanting to take a long ranger out for a spin to see how they stack up.

·
Premium Member
4,945 Posts
I bought a BLR in .308 from a fellow member 2-3 years ago and it has a somewhat firm trigger, but a very clean break. The action feels buttery smooth, but I'm not about to dig into it like I do a Marlin. It's a steel receiver model and heavy, but a fine rifle.I think I once figured it was a '92 make. I'm still trying to find an affordable 99. They seldom appear around here & are expensive. The last one I saw was pretty rough and it was marked $699. I will find one though, someday.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.