Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a BLR 81 in .257 Roberts a couple months ago. I'm planning on mounting a vortex scope on it. I was wondering what options and experiences you guys have had concerning the scope rings and/or bases.

My plan was to go with the browning integrated scope mount system. It seems like these rings will be installed directly on the gun without a base. Is this the case?

I want the gun to have a simple, traditional look to it. Thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You didn't mention if the rifle was new(?). As you search for mounting systems, be aware that there are a couple different "issues" associated with BLRs. I own two of the newer alloy receivered BLRs and one of the older steel receiver guns. The newer ones have what's called the "rounded" top and the older guns are flat top. Be sure to get the correct type. Apparently, the guns after 1996 have what's called the "rounded" top. The .257 is not a stout recoiling round, quite the opposite. The placement of the rear ring won't matter too much with it. On heavier recoiling versions (mine are a .450 & .325WSM) it may be important to get a rear mount that can put that rear ring forward rather then right over the holes supplied. From my experiences, this is most easily achieved with a one or two piece standard base & rings. Another set-up that should work would be the Talley lightweight ring/base sets. Typically, they can facilitate either ring/base being faced either way, helping with spacing.

One more thing. The alloy receiver guns have a rear sight set farther to the front than a steel receiver gun. This may mean that the objective bell could contact that sight unless really high rings are used, or a scope with a shorter OAL and/or smaller objective is used. I've found, personally, that a Leupold 2-7x33 will usually fit behind that rear sight (if that might help) on the newer versions.

On the left, a "flat top" steel receiver. That scope is a Leupold Ultralight Compact 2-7x28 (note how close to the receiver the rear sight is). On the right, a newer alloy receiver short action in .325WSM (rounded top). Note how much further forward the rear sight is located. A full sized Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 is on it (11 1/4" long). There's very little additional room behind the rear sight. A 3-9x40 Leupold would NOT fit in my set-up there. Both these rifles are wearing two piece Weaver bases.

Good luck!!

thumbnail-334.jpeg
thumbnail-334.jpeg

Reactions: jml

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I believe I have the older steel receiver gun. My gun looks like the one on the left. I'm hoping my scope will be long enough to clear the rear sight.

BLR 257.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I believe I have the older steel receiver gun. My gun looks like the one on the left. I'm hoping my scope will be long enough to clear the rear sight.

View attachment 820364
Yes, that's an older steel receiver gun. As smooth as the new ones are, I think the steel receiver with non fluted bolt is even smoother.

Very nice rifle. Congratulations!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts