Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago I brought my BLR to a certified Browning gunsmith here in Maine. I wanted him to disassemble and clean the internals, especially the firing pin and bolt assembly. I had experienced a few light primer strikes, and I felt the issue was a dirty or gummed up firing pin. He charges $40 for the service, Cheap enough for piece of mind on a hunting rifle. I dropped it off on a Saturday and received a call from the gunsmith Monday morning with bad news. He told me my receiver was cracked near the mag release on the bottom. Being a certified Browning repair facility he would take care of the details with Browning. The gun is 11 years old and beyond the warranty period, but he thought they may replace the receiver free of charge. I got an email last night stating that they were going to replace the entire rifle free of charge. I think Browning went above and beyond. I was told it should ship after the first of the year. I had a few upgrades on the old rifle (refinished wood and trigger work), but with a cracked receiver it is useless. So, I'll do the same upgrades to new rifle. Anybody else have good or bad luck with Browning customer service?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I have never had an issue with my Browning’s, but they are Belgium made with steel receivers. I don’t have one of the new ones with alloy receiver. Good on Browning for taking care of you. Good news there.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Several years ago I had a Browning Citori that all at once would not stay cocked when it was opened. I took it to the local gun shop to ship back to Browning. He said that a lot of those shotguns had the same problem and they would charge me to fix it. I put this note in the box, "Dear Sirs; I saved for a long time to buy this shotgun and I didn't think Brownings ever broke. Please advise how much to fix it." A couple of weeks later the gun shop owner called me and said that my shotgun was back and no charge.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have a Savage 99 in 358 Win and keep looking at the BLR. I am just not a fan of tang safeties.
I had the gun up for sale but it now sits in the safe with thoughts of deer season on Monday.
My only issue with the BLR is the 20" barrel. I would like one in 22" but that is not an option.

·
Registered
19,678 Posts
A cracked receiver? Everybody knows some JB weld held in place by some duct tape till it cures will fix that puppy up in a snap! Be back out in the woods by the afternoon! My cousin bubba even said so!:biggrin::biggrin: Great to here you're were well taken car of by Browning hammertime! Love my Brownings and fortunately, have never had an issue, but nice to know they're a stand up company!

·
Registered
93 Posts
My BLR 81 in .358 Winchester is on it's second owner with never an issue . Unless you consider putting fresh backstraps on the table this morning a problem .:party:

Reactions: Marlin+

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
My only complaint with Browning rifles is the glossy finish. My early BLR and a B78 have cracks in the finish that run along grain lines. I had a T-bolt years ago the T2 version with the shiny finished stock and it too cracked along grain lines. I picked up a Browning 1895 Winchester clone about 8 years ago and this one literally has no finish at all. Either the guy that had it before me took it off or it never had one to begin with. I'll probably refinish that one myself.
Paul B.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Really nice to hear a company backs it product beyond what it would legally have to do. The BLR is a really nice lever rifle, and the 358 is probably the nicest caliber.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Fantastic news! It makes me happy to hear that a company stood by it's product.

Reactions: hammertime

·
Registered
642 Posts
I had an issue with a brand new limited edition Browning bar . Long story short my Browning needed a new barrel as it was determined defective and they don t work on the alloy receiver rifles they scrap them and replace it with a new rifle as I was told by customer service. So I had a choice of a full refund or my choice of similar rifle. I chose a refund. Browning is a stand up company and stands behind their products in my experience. The hole process was hassle free as possible.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My gunsmith said he would receive the gun from Browning "just after the first of the year". I was hoping for Jan. 2nd about 8 a.m. I guess I need to be patient. My birthday is in early Feb., so I think I'm going to get myself a new scope for it. I'll be sure to put up a picture or 2.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got the call yesterday. Gunsmith has it in his possession. Now, I need to find the time to get up there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts