Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I'm trying to gleen info on the browning blr in 325wsm. I'm very interested in hearing what owners of this weapon have to say regarding recoil and overall likes and dislikes. Thank you. PS. I'm looking at a blr light weight pistol grip solid frame not a take down.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Giving it a bump, curious to see the answer.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399495186.535374.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399495195.238307.jpg I have this kimber that's chambered in 325wsm. I took the scope off of it last year because it doesn't get much play time around the marlins. Recoil isn't bad even in this lightweight rifle. I know little about the round itself because It never captured my attention like the good ole straight wall cases do. :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I am curious about this caliber and rifle too. I do have a 444SS that shoots 1" groups but I don't want to use that for open areas with potentially 250 yard shots. I have thought that the BLR with this potent cartridge would be a great combination and very versatile.

Anybody have one? Know someone who does?

M

·
Registered
11,600 Posts
I know the BLR in 325wsm has been discussed in some threads here before, and you might want to check through them for some comments about it. Seems to me we were discussing the .358win and the 325 came up in our talks etc. All positive as I recall on the rifle/caliber, but the ammo can be a little pricey ha! Good luck to you.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Blr 325

I've had a 325 BLR since they first came out. It is a walnut, stainless, pistol grip model. A 3x9 Burris Short Mag scope in Warne rings and bases is mounted to it. (This scope was chosen because it is the only scope in its magnification range that could be mounted low without disrupting the rear sight, which, when equipped, I like to leave in place and sight in incase of scope damage in remote locales.) Overall, I am exceedingly pleased with this gun/scope combination. It is a very well built, nicely finished, lightweight, accurate, and quick pointing gun that wields nearly 2 tons of energy. I have found it to be a great combination of penetration/trajectory/gun weight/design for the long treks and often times oblique angle shots you encounter hunting elk where they spend their daylight hours during public land rifle seasons where I hunt in Colorado: Remote Timber. Far from the traditional "brush gun" chamberings available in other levers, if you step clear of the timber and find game several hundred yards off, you also have a cartridge/gun combination capable of making shots farther than I would feel comfortable taking.

For accuracy, if I do my part, I consistently get 1"-1.5" 3 shot, 100yd groups. The best load I've tried so far is the 220grn Power Point Winchester factory load. I also tried the 200 grn Accubond load; accuracy with these was around 2.5”. I have not yet hand loaded for this gun, as the Power Points provide more than acceptable accuracy and good terminal performance, and I have over 20 boxes of them as a result of compulsive behavior and a good deal. If I weren’t satisfied with this load, I’d either work up some handloads, or I’d probably try some of the Double Tap 200grn Barnes TSX loads.

Though recoil is a highly subjective construct, recoil with a 325 BLR would likely be considered significant by most; it is a powerful round in a light gun. However, to me, it is not as severe as I had originally thought it would be. To combat the heavy recoil, any range session includes the use of a PAST auxiliary shoulder pad. These are available in various thicknesses, and they substantially cut down on recoil.

Unencumbered by Rube Goldberg safeties, smooth, and able to load pointed bullets from a box magazine, there is a lot to love about BLR’s. About the only thing I'd change about them would be the trigger, which is typically a touch heavy for my tastes. However, I will say that the triggers can be grown accustom to; the three I own (450 Marlin, 358win) are all capable of shooting tight groups with ammo they like. And, the triggers do seem to get better with use and judicious application of CLP.

·
Premium Member
1,341 Posts
The triggers can be done. I've seen good and bad trigger jobs on BLR's. They are just difficult and not every smith is up to it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a Abolt-II in 325wsm and only shoot the 220grn pp ammo in it and have taken four deer with it so far with two of them at over 300yds and would highly recommend it from a performance stand point.My father has had a BLR in 358 for about 29 years and he has taken lots of deer with it.I have taken one 4pt whitetail (western count) with the BLR and they both have very similar performance at under 200yds the 325 of course shoots a little flatter and faster but they both drop deer in their tracks of all of the deer i have seen taken with either rifle not one has ever taken a step after getting hit. I have also owned a 300win mag blr lightning and ss laminate 270wsm blr and did not care for either of them. I love both cartridges but i think the BLR really shines with standard short action rounds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts