Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some time ago I bought from MidwayUSA some Blemished bullets, they are the Hornady 265gr. FP, Going through my stock today I happened to really look at the standard Hornady and these blemished ones. The blems weigh in at 255.8 grs and have a flatter nose than the regular ones. Will shooting these using standard loads for the full 265 gr. bullets have any concerns relating to pressure? The velocity should be a bit higher since they are lighter and although not much the trajectory should be a tad flatter, correct? I'm all ears guys and thanks for any input. A couple of pics to look over. Mr fixit
P3230002 (3).JPG P3230002.JPG P3230003 (3).JPG

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
That's pretty odd - I don't think that small amount of lead would be 10 grains worth. The profile of the boolit doesn't even look the same.
Aha! Look at the shorter boolit - it has the XTP score marks.
I betcha these are 240 grain XTP boolits that they forgot the insert so the hollow point got filled.
In answer to your question I would in fact go halfway between the recommended load for the 240 and the 265.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I think Bibb a is right about that. Those are definitely deep xtp score marks. But I dunno if that is enuff weight difference to really matter unless you are loading max loads

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
That's pretty odd - I don't think that small amount of lead would be 10 grains worth. The profile of the boolit doesn't even look the same.
Aha! Look at the shorter boolit - it has the XTP score marks.
I betcha these are 240 grain XTP boolits that they forgot the insert so the hollow point got filled.
In answer to your question I would in fact go halfway between the recommended load for the 240 and the 265.
You beat me to it. The first thing I noticed on the upside-down photo, then I looked at some of my 240 XTPs and bingo, came back here to comment but you beat me to the punch. Well done Jon - good eye.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
With the little bit shorter bearing surface of the 256's one might assume that they'd have less friction also?, bet they shoot fast!?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts