Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might be going Black Bear hunting this fall. I'm either going to use a 300gr XFN or a cast 405 LBT GC. Which would you chose.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Either will do the job on a Black Bear. My advice is to go with the one you shoot the most accuractely and try to anticipate the distances you'll be encountering your bear at.

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
Gurn said:
I might be going Black Bear hunting this fall. I'm either going to use a 300gr XFN or a cast 405 LBT GC. Which would you chose.
Gurn-Either will do the trick but I would give the Barnes an edge in performace with expantion and penetration.With the Barnes a shoulder shot wouldn't be out of the question and a Heart Lung certainly is a good shot if presented.The Hardcast as you know does it's best work on shoulder shots and is less effective on Heart Lung shots than Jacketed bullets.

Now I wanna go huntin.It's getting close here and I'm getting the itch.

Take care..............Jayco.

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, that kinda comfirms what I was thinking already. The XFN seems to shoot a little better so I guess if I go I'll use it.

Maybe I should change my signature to HEAVE THE COPPER BOYS :lol:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Gurn, did you get drawn for the upper? Sorry I cant keep track of who said what and dont know if you'd mentioned that before.

Somebody here is going to the Baraga area.....you?

I have a friend that has 40acres on the sturgeon gorge.

Good luck to a fellow michigander!

Perferator

·
Premium Member
3,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope, didn't drawn for Mich. Thinking about maybe with a outfiter in Canada. If I ever get a Mich. tag maybe you can point me toward a good area in the ole home state.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts