Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been lusting after a Marlin 38-55 cowboy for a long time, just like a thousand other guys. However, as we all know they are hard to find and if you do find one, the price will make you weak in the knees. :eek:

I am a little low on gun funds right now, because I already bought two project guns this year. But even with those new toys I couldn’t stop the fever……38-55 fever. So I went to plan ‘B’.

Okay, this is where you real serious gun collectors should leave the room or cover your eyes. Last chance before I hurt someone’s feelings…. ;D ;D

I sent my Winchester Buffalo Bill Commemorative to JES Re-Bore. The rifle is back and I have a great looking cowboy rifle that is an amazing shooter. The rifle is prolly more accurate than I can shoot and Jesse’s turn around time is very fast.

I went to the range yesterday with two batches of reloads:
Lyman 265gr gas checked cast over 25gr RL-7.
Sierra 200gr jacketed over 30gr RL-7.

Both loads preformed very well. The cast bullets may have out shot the jacketed by a little bit, but that could have just been the shooter. This wasn’t a scientific outing. I didn’t measure anything as far a group size or bullet velocity. The only caveat is, from a sand bag position, the steel butt plate becomes an issue after about 30-32 rounds.

·
Administrator
23,800 Posts
If a man has to own a Winchester, that's one I would not mind at all. Really nice, blasphemy some maybe but not me.

·
Registered
20,300 Posts
Nice lookin shooter ya got there City Slicker!

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
Good looking rifle :). As far as the rebore is concerned, you paid the money, you get to call the dance ;D. Honestly, it's your rifle, you can do as you please. I think you did good. You got something you wanted and found a way to make it happen 8).

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
I have a Marlin cowboy and that Winchester can come live with me any time. Enjoy. ;D

·
Premium Member
13,618 Posts
Very purty indeed. I've never owned a steel butt plated rifle but I can imagine that after a bit it would do a job on ya.

BTW, I love a good fence post pic ;D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Around 9-10gr Herco/Unique makes a nice plinker load very comfy to shoot that about equals heaviest Ruger-type .45 Colt loads in bullet weight/velocity.

The commemoratives are built on post-64 actions and are generally not seen by collectors as worth much more than any other post-64 94, and a bit less to many shooters who don't want the glitter....I'm sure that is changing somewhat with no more US made guns, but not by much, i would expect the same to hold true for standard models, too.....you can always find a 336 in .375....can't speak for Marlin, but know first hand the Win BB .375 chamber was nothing but a .38-55 chamber and bore and mine never saw a .375 reload but saw many a .38-55 reload....

·
Premium Member
2,537 Posts
City - Very nice looking rifle. Know what you mean about the curved metal butt plate. I have a black powder rifle and with a stout load it will let you know in a hurry if the rifle butt is not in the correct place.
A load I have had a lot of good luck with in 38-55 is a 240-250 grain cast bullet over 21.0 grains of IMR 4198. Accuracy is very good and recoil mild. Either way, nice looking gun, I really like the saddle ring. Shenandoah

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the positive comments. I know some Commemorative collectors prolly thought re-boring was a dumb move, but after being a MO member for awhile it seems most guys are 'shooters', so I figured this would be viewed as a fun project.

I hope to get out next week again and maybe move back to 50-75 yards now that I know the factory sights are pretty much on the money at 25 yards. I don't know if my eyes can do this rifle justice at 75 yards with iron sights, so I may be looking for an upgrade. I look forward to saving some targets and updating this post.

city slicker

·
Registered
224 Posts
Blasphmey or Genius ??

i vote Genius...thats going to be my next gun project.

thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
I can't see the pictures ???. What am I doing wrong??? :mad:

·
Premium Member
13,380 Posts
Oh, now I can :D
Very nice rifle. I wouldn't mind to have her in my safe.

Cheers

·
Registered
122 Posts
City Slicker said:
Thanks for all the positive comments. I know some Commemorative collectors prolly thought re-boring was a dumb move, but after being a MO member for awhile it seems most guys are 'shooters', so I figured this would be viewed as a fun project.

I hope to get out next week again and maybe move back to 50-75 yards now that I know the factory sights are pretty much on the money at 25 yards. I don't know if my eyes can do this rifle justice at 75 yards with iron sights, so I may be looking for an upgrade. I look forward to saving some targets and updating this post.

city slicker
I think you took an otherwise useless gun and made it into a really unique shooter....it's probably one of the more attractive commemoratives as it lacks a lot of the flash and more resembles an original gun that would have been chambered in something such as .38-55 from the start....nice job....I've had several rebores done....if they know what they are doing, it should be one of the best shooters you've ever owned....there were over 122,000 of those guns made, so not like you messed up a rare gun....

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Hey there CS -- Good move!! One of the all time great hyphenated calibers. Grab some ammo, and jump in the truck, and come on out. We'll see how far it'll reach!! Best regards. Wind

·
Premium Member
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wind...with gas at $3.59 a gallon maybe I'll just mail it to you and you and can tell me how it does. ::) ;D

mtngunr...I'm not sure how all those guys who spend $600 on a Buffalo Bill rifle as a keepsake are gonna feel about you calling them 'useless', but I know mine is a better shooter than collector. ;D

·
Registered
122 Posts
long heavy octagon true-rifle configuration made for long range accuracy, but chambered for all-time great deer bustin' caliber for woods, while gussied up to be never fired by anybody and only accumulated like it was a postage stamp in a collection, would pretty much define "useless" in my book.....you have rescued the anything but rare gun from an eternity in dusty obscurity and converted it to fire a cartridge which was the darling of black powder target shooters and which also happens to be a wonderful game cartridge good for anything in the lower 49...anything but useless....

·
Premium Member
4,446 Posts
I am assuming that BB was .30-30 before you had it bored out?

Did you shoot it before AND after the conversion? If you did how did the two compare in accuracy? You obviously like the AFTER.

GB45

·
Premium Member
18,026 Posts
mtngunr said:
there were over 122,000 of those guns made, so not like you messed up a rare gun....
That puts it in a different perspective!

Genius it is. 8)

That is a REALLY handsome rifle.......in an awesome caliber. Congratulations on a job well done.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts