Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife walked into my study the other day and asked why I had such a perplexed look on my face. (We've been together too long, because I thought I looked “normal”) :hmmmm: I explained that I was trying to figure out why a gun that had been for sale for a week hadn't been snapped up because it looked like a really good deal. She said “Well go look, and if it’s that good of a deal, then buy it.” OK, so put my arm back into the socket. So this is where enabler in chief Mark comes in. I sent him a note with the specifics from the local posting, knowing that if I told him that someone was selling half inch thick well pipe that had been modified with a lever and had a JM stamp on it, and would fire 45-70, he would say BUY!. The add said 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 Like New $750.00.
I was a little thrown off when I got there and it didn't say “Marlin 1895CB” but rather said “Marlin 1895LTD – IV”. I hadn't done as much homework as I should have, but assumed that since it had a JM stamp on the barrel, and shot 45-70, it would at least be worth the $750.00, so I took Mark’s advice. It’s got some really pretty wood, but after shooting several rounds on the way home, I'm going to have to put on a butt cuff to cushion the blow(s). I love a lot of recoil, but the dang blood thinners make bruising a real issue. I’ll have to take some better pics when it’s not misting outside. After some really close scrutinizing it does have some very slight indentations on the stock, so I at least don’t have to worry about being the first to bump it.
Now all I got to do is drill out that bull’s-eye and put a sling swivel in the hole. :biggrin:
1895LTD1F.JPG 1895LTD2.JPG 1895LTD3.JPG 1895LTDStock.JPG DSC03215.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,742 Posts
Very, very nice! Great addition, and a great wife!

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Great gun and nice find. Where did you get a wife like that?

If you are going to shoot the 45-70 often get a recoil pad. On the bench I use a 1" recoil pad and I can shoot as long as my head can handle.

The 45-70 is probably the most "giggle like a kid" shooting gun you will find.

Enjoy!

[EDIT] Mark is a bad influence for sure!

·
Registered
422 Posts
My wife would agree. She says "You go to work every day." Make sure you give her a big hug an kiss! Lucky guy.....just like me.....Seriously. (I got a 15-2VH DW .357)

·
Registered
11,867 Posts
Great looking 45-70, and very nice looking grain on the stock. You gotta love Mark, next thing he will do is get you to buy a bunch of stuff from Dillon and C-H. But Mark knows the good stuff! What ammunition were you firing from the rifle?

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey 9mm,

So glad to be of service. LOL

That is one fine looking Limited!

A little Tung oil on that stock, a little rub, good as new. (never see it under one of those excellent Butt Cuffs you make!)

Once you start reloading (13 gr Universal Clays/Unique, under a 350 or 405 gr cast bullet) recoil will no longer be a "problem".

Later, Mark

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Great rifle...how'd she shoot?

Bet you its not the first time somethings been blamed on mark...

Probably not even the first time today!!! Haha!!

·
Registered
549 Posts
My wife walked into my study the other day and asked why I had such a perplexed look on my face. (We've been together too long, because I thought I looked “normal”) :hmmmm: I explained that I was trying to figure out why a gun that had been for sale for a week hadn't been snapped up because it looked like a really good deal. She said “Well go look, and if it’s that good of a deal, then buy it.” OK, so put my arm back into the socket. So this is where enabler in chief Mark comes in. I sent him a note with the specifics from the local posting, knowing that if I told him that someone was selling half inch thick well pipe that had been modified with a lever and had a JM stamp on it, and would fire 45-70, he would say BUY!. The add said 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 Like New $750.00.
I was a little thrown off when I got there and it didn't say “Marlin 1895CB” but rather said “Marlin 1895LTD – IV”. I hadn't done as much homework as I should have, but assumed that since it had a JM stamp on the barrel, and shot 45-70, it would at least be worth the $750.00, so I took Mark’s advice. It’s got some really pretty wood, but after shooting several rounds on the way home, I'm going to have to put on a butt cuff to cushion the blow(s). I love a lot of recoil, but the dang blood thinners make bruising a real issue. I’ll have to take some better pics when it’s not misting outside. After some really close scrutinizing it does have some very slight indentations on the stock, so I at least don’t have to worry about being the first to bump it.
Now all I got to do is drill out that bull’s-eye and put a sling swivel in the hole. :biggrin:
View attachment 97777 View attachment 97778 View attachment 97779 View attachment 97780 View attachment 97781
Nice rifle, but I hope you're joking about drilling out the bull's-eye.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Now I really cannot believe that Mark could ever be guilty of enabling....... LOL!

Now your rifle is a LTD? What is the difference in it and a Cowboy? I mean, it looks an awful lot like a Cowboy to me. I just haven't delved deep enough into the big guns yet....... LOL. I would love to know the differences in those two.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Now I really cannot believe that Mark could ever be guilty of enabling....... LOL!

Now your rifle is a LTD? What is the difference in it and a Cowboy? I mean, it looks an awful lot like a Cowboy to me. I just haven't delved deep enough into the big guns yet....... LOL. I would love to know the differences in those two.

Ron
I'm not sure either yet, but I could see Mark's eyes glazing over all the way from Texas. If I understand, it was a limited edition run in 2000. Maybe it was Y2K compliant. :)

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great looking 45-70, and very nice looking grain on the stock. You gotta love Mark, next thing he will do is get you to buy a bunch of stuff from Dillon and C-H. But Mark knows the good stuff! What ammunition were you firing from the rifle?
Hornady 325gr Leverevolutions

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Hey Ron,

From my "limited" understanding, Marlin made a LTD II, III, IV, and V.

Think one of the "real" enablers has pictures. (pretty sure there is a bit of video)

Later, Mark

·
Premium Member
16,813 Posts
Great gun and nice find. Where did you get a wife like that?

If you are going to shoot the 45-70 often get a recoil pad. On the bench I use a 1" recoil pad and I can shoot as long as my head can handle.

The 45-70 is probably the most "giggle like a kid" shooting gun you will find.

Enjoy!

[EDIT] Mark is a bad influence for sure!
Hey Steed,

Thank you for the kind words.

I have so much fun with my Marlins, figure everyone else should, too! LOL

Later, Mark

·
Administrator
27,863 Posts
Well, isn't that convenient to have two enablers gang up on you. Technically, first your wife and then msharley! You didn't stand a chance... HA!

My wife does the same and tells me how much I deserve this Marlin or that Marlin. And while I get my share I always look at her and say, ooookay, what is it that you want? :biggrin:

Congrats you lucky dawg on one fine LTD. Isn't that a special edition run of the CB? But there must be something special about it... besides being yours. :hmmmm: Do let us know. And I might add, some mighty fine looking furniture on her.

Range report?

Jack

1 - 20 of 51 Posts