Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I live in a pretty country , South Africa ,( but messed up big time and going backwards at a hell of a speed), but with good hunting opportunity's.
Decided to put my long distance gun away and going back to walk and stalk with my 336Y.Both shots taken at 130 yards. As a rule I do not take body shots if it can be prevented , but in this case I wanted to test the 30 30 performance , both bullets exited with perfect exit wounds. I like the slower speed of the 170gr , less meat damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
The 30-30 is a capable weapon for most game though considered a bit anemic by those who seek the latest whiz bang gun. Congrats on the game. Looks like some good eats there.

I keep hearing sadder and sadder tails coming out of SA. Hope you are not in those parts coming apart at the seams. Do you think you will be able to live out your life there, or will you have to leave at some point.
V

·
Registered
462 Posts
they are amazing animals, i have been lucky enough to have taken a red herdabeest-black-blue wildebeests on SA hunting trips. I just came back in may from my last trip, and over the last 7 years there are many changes you can see in SA as the government seem hell bent on helping to destroy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Hi
I live in a pretty country , South Africa ,( but messed up big time and going backwards at a hell of a speed), but with good hunting opportunity's.
Decided to put my long distance gun away and going back to walk and stalk with my 336Y.Both shots taken at 130 yards. As a rule I do not take body shots if it can be prevented , but in this case I wanted to test the 30 30 performance , both bullets exited with perfect exit wounds. I like the slower speed of the 170gr , less meat damage.
seeing the 30-30 kill good sized animals like those makes it real somehow that it is quite able. I have a friend who is a good man, and a good woodsman and hunter, but thinks the 30-30 is not near enough gun for SC whitetail deer! I just shake my head and laugh and tell him that somebody didn't get the memo to all those I have killed with 30-30s and to the millions that have been killed over the years with them,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
462 Posts
Africa animals have a great will to live and some times will take a lot of lead to bring them down if your first shot it off. and if a animal is lost it is counted the same as a taken animal. on my hunts I wanted to take animals large to small and choose a .375 H&H and used it on buffalo-eland-kudu-zebra-waterbuck-orix- wildebeest- baboon-bleasbuck-dikker-steinbuck-impala-warthog loseing no animals shot. I do feel a 30-30 would have taken most of the animals I shot with proper shot placement, but i didn,t want to take a chance on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vince
Since about 1994 millions of people is leaving SA , and continue to do so , NO future for white people. Terrible murder rate, and every government sector is corrupt. Wish I could get out , but the requirements to emigrate is very tuff.The 30 30 is enough gun for allot of game in Africa within range , but note there is also allot of game not advisable to use 30 30 on in Africa.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
a 30-30 with a 170gr. bullet at 100yds has more energy/power than a 44mag. has at the muzzle with a 240gr. bullet,,,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Floki, Sad to hear. Keep yourself safe. I understand what you mean. I don't think i'd want to go after a cape buffalo with a 30-30. There are many other I'd want more rifle too.
However, I'd think a 30-30 would knock down 80-85% of game over there.
V

·
Registered
462 Posts
i have been to Africa six times to hunt and have made many friends there and have had several come here to visit us in america over the years and now at close to 76 I may not make another trip, as we never know for sure what the future may bring. I was taken in and treated like family, I have never been treated better any where in the world in my travels.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have never been treated better any where in the world in my travels.
Neither have I. Almost all my time was in Zambia, but I thought the Zulu and Xhosa I met in Joburg were very nice as well. On the other hand, I didn’t have to wonder if the government might send thugs to torture me to death with a blow torch while trying to make a living on my farm.

Reactions: M700 and eastbank

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi everybody
Thx for all the feedback , I shall try and hopefully post some more shooting events. Sorry to bring politics into it,but lets keep on talking about the good hunting and wonderful time in the bush , campfire stories , planning to do plenty more 30 30 challenges. You guys that is blessed with such a good money exchange rate should make use off the opportunity to visit Africa.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Wonderful!

We tend to think of a lever action .30-30 as a North American deer rifle but it is capable of so, so much more.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hi everybody
Thx for all the feedback , I shall try and hopefully post some more shooting events. Sorry to bring politics into it,but lets keep on talking about the good hunting and wonderful time in the bush , campfire stories , planning to do plenty more 30 30 challenges. You guys that is blessed with such a good money exchange rate should make use off the opportunity to visit Africa.
And if you do, you will be planning your second trip before you get home from the first!

I just returned from 12 days in the BVC of Zimbabwe. Did 10 days in the Eastern Cape of South Africa in 2015.

I work for a South African company and travel there on business every year...so I might be a little biased. But the people and the hunting are generally wonderful in Southern Africa.

Go while you can!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts