Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first container of Blackhorn in fall of 2019. I was looking to improve the accuracy and ease cleaning of my TC Omega that I’ve had for about 15 years. It did the trick as far as providing uniform groups for at least three shots between cleanings.

This fall, I changed bullets because I had only three TC Shockwave spitzers in 200 gr & could find none for sale anywhere I checked. I ended up shooting a Hornady .452 rubber tipped 200 gr. in a Hornady sabot.

This week, (Thursday 10/15/20) I was shooting the gun to verify the new bullets went where I pointed the gun like the TC bullets do. The gun was completely clean. I put in 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 purchased fall of 2019 and a Hornady sabot / bullet. The gun misfired. This is the first misfire of this gun in its life after hundreds of shots of a few different powders. I put in another Winchester 209 primer and tried again. Misfire again. I pulled the breech plug and cleaned the gun (which wasn’t dirty). The bullet had moved about halfway down the barrel from the primer ignition only. I reloaded and fired again. The gun did about a 3/4 second hang fire. I reloaded and tried again. The gun fired, but the ignition was weak and I could actually hear the bullet making a whizzing noise as it traveled downrange.

I bought a fresh jug of Pyrodex and went back to the range. The gun fired cleanly and accurately for seven shots (cleaning patch run through every other shot). The year-old Blackhorn powder was the issue.

The Blackhorn is clean and accurate, but apparently doesn’t age well. I’ve shot 10 year old Pyrodex with good results in the past. The Blackhorn was kept in its original plastic jug since last year.

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I bought my first container of Blackhorn in fall of 2019. I was looking to improve the accuracy and ease cleaning of my TC Omega that I’ve had for about 15 years. It did the trick as far as providing uniform groups for at least three shots between cleanings.

This fall, I changed bullets because I had only three TC Shockwave spitzers in 200 gr & could find none for sale anywhere I checked. I ended up shooting a Hornady .452 rubber tipped 200 gr. in a Hornady sabot.

This week, (Thursday 10/15/20) I was shooting the gun to verify the new bullets went where I pointed the gun like the TC bullets do. The gun was completely clean. I put in 100 gr of Blackhorn 209 purchased fall of 2019 and a Hornady sabot / bullet. The gun misfired. This is the first misfire of this gun in its life after hundreds of shots of a few different powders. I put in another Winchester 209 primer and tried again. Misfire again. I pulled the breech plug and cleaned the gun (which wasn’t dirty). The bullet had moved about halfway down the barrel from the primer ignition only. I reloaded and fired again. The gun did about a 3/4 second hang fire. I reloaded and tried again. The gun fired, but the ignition was weak and I could actually hear the bullet making a whizzing noise as it traveled downrange.

I bought a fresh jug of Pyrodex and went back to the range. The gun fired cleanly and accurately for seven shots (cleaning patch run through every other shot). The year-old Blackhorn powder was the issue.

The Blackhorn is clean and accurate, but apparently doesn’t age well. I’ve shot 10 year old Pyrodex with good results in the past. The Blackhorn was kept in its original plastic jug since last year.

OUCH,

Just one more reason I am still a fan of BP. For muzzle stuffer rifles Fg for 45 and up, FFg for below 45 in a rifle, and FFFg for all pistol calibers.

Regardless of caliber, Fg for BPCR cases, 28-30 to 45-100.

·
Super Moderator
23,918 Posts
My BH 209 is 3 years old and still ignites just fine in my CVA Optima V2. What kind of primers were you using?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I use CCI Magnum 209M shotshell primers in my TC Impact and Blackhorn 209. Not sure what breech plug the Omega uses, but that could be an issue with some models according to the Blackhorn 209 website.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
On my Encore I read you could drill the flash hole with a #55 drill bit for more flame. I’ve done that to mine.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Winchester 209 shotgun shell primers & have used the same primers since I’ve owned the rifle, which is something more than 15 years, but I’m not sure how much longer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My BH 209 is 3 years old and still ignites just fine in my CVA Optima V2. What kind of primers were you using?
Winchester. Says ”W209” on the box. It’s what I’ve always used, since my son reloads shotgun shells and I just get into his stock when I need some.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts