Marlin Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my new Blackhawk in .357 Magnum with a 4.62" bbl out to the range for the first time today. Hitting at 25 yes was easy and 50 yds was no problem. It is a great cartridge and the Blackhawk is a solid hitter! Just want to get the 6.5" bbl as well. I have a couple more Blackhawks, a Bisley in .45 Colt as well as a flat top in the same caliber. Elmer Keith was the man and I just want to try some 600 yd shot. I reload and have determined my battery to be 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 357 Magnum, 38 Special. Those are my main shooters, but I have others. Those are my serious cartridges. You can never go wrong with Ruger, although I also have a S&W 66 and a Marlin 1894C in .357 Mag.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Love my Super Black Hawk in 44mag.....mainly shoot 44 sp in it though....44mag just about takes my wrist off....:biggrin:
I don't remember which book it's in, maybe Sixguns, but Elmer explains how to shoot heavy recoiling handguns. The trick is a tight grip on the gun but a relaxed forearm and supporting, not gripping, with the off hand. After firing, the two hands will no longer be together and the gun and arm will have risen maybe 30 to 40 degrees or so. The recoil is spread out over a much longer distance than a two-hand death grip on the gun.

If you try to manhandle a full-house .44 Mag, i.e., keep it from rising, like you would an IPSC gun, it will knock the stuffing out of you and give you a mighty flinch in the process.

·
Premium Member
17,107 Posts
Hey M 45,

That is one fine looking revolver!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
I have a 4 5/8 inch old model 41 mag in blackhawk and shoot full house loads only when I have too, the kick is pretty jolting and not fun for me but loaded down some it is plesant and still hits hard with a 210 gn HP. I think I have this problem figured out but it still blows my mind. The other day I was shooting 230 gn keith cast bullets and the gun was shooting 5 inches high at 25 yards with the back sight turned all the way down. I guess that when in recoil the longer cast bullet takes longer to clear the barrel causing the gun being in a upward rise from recoil to shoot high. This is the only thing I can think of.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I bought 2 Black Hawks last year. One is a stainless steel conversion and the other was purchased simply because I didn't like the way my Sambar Stag grips looked on stainless, so I got a blue one.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tennessee looks like a good place, with Hickok45, etc. I got to get the hell out of Marylandistan!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.