Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to have worked for some of the other fellows, so thought I'd give it a try, too...

I've been debating whether or not to buy a Ruger Blackhawk in
45 Colt, or 41 Rem Mag. I plan to reload for it either way, and am looking at barrels less than 7.5 inches long. This would see some carry time while hiking/exploring the north woods of New England, and some whitetail deer hunting, and lots of range/target practice. Nostalgia pulls me toward the 45 Colt, and the huge choice of bullets available, but I've heard that the 41 is extremely efficient and very flat shooting, tho I've never shot a 41 in anything to tell if it is of significant advantage at the ranges I'd mostly use it. I wouldn't try to use it on deer more than 50-75 yards away with iron/open sights - my eyesight isn't what it used to be, and I just don't like putting glass on revolvers. Anything further out than that is left to my 1895.

Any input/advice on which is the better choice, or if you have experience with the 41 to share, I'd much appreciate it. Thanks !

·
Registered
339 Posts
45 Colt hands down. Greater choice of bullets and able to do the job with less pressure. The 45 can be loaded to shoot just as flat and at the ranges you will use it you would not notice the deference anyway.

The 45 can be loaded with tame cowboy loads all the way up to something for dangerous game. Read the following artical by John Linebaugh on the 45 LC.

http://www.linebaughcustom.com/Articles/THE45COLTDISSOLVINGTHEMYTH/tabid/201/Default.aspx

I prefer one with Bisley grips and Ruger currently makes one in 7 1/2 in blue. I found a stainless 5 !/2 that a dealer had.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I personally have had two .45 Rugers and each one was a bad experience for me. Both had very tight throats and the second one the base pin holes were not parallel to the bore. I could go on but I'll just say twice it was not an out of the box and find a good load proposition.

I AM NOT Ruger bashing I own several of their products and love them. My limited understanding is that for what ever reason .45 Colt and Ruger do not play as well together as some other chamberings. If I had it to do over I'd go with the .41.

Both will do what you want them to. The .41 will use less lead and powder, will be similarly effective and give less recoil to boot. If I go Ruger for a single action .41 or .44 will be the route I take.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bman said:
. Both had very tight throats and the second one the base pin holes were not parallel to the bore.
As I understand it, all 45 Blackhawks have tight throats, a problem that is easlily fixed. Ruger must have a reason for doing it, but it is beyond me. The other problem I have not heard of and would be more difficult to deal with and I suspect was caused by isolated mistake in the manufacturing process and could happen to any of the Blackhawks.

By the way, mine has tight throats and seems to shoots fine with the loads I have tried, but I am going to have the throats reamed and install a Bell Mountain base pin.

The 41 magnum is probably fine for deer, but the 45 would give you more options for bigger game. The only 41 I have shot was a Taurus Titaniaum, so I can't say much about recoil comparison , except that I find most 45 loads to be what I would call mild, but I am used to my 500 Linebaugh Long and 460 S&W BFR. I guess everything is relative.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I did the sensible thing a got both :p ......the 41 was my first handgun and I got it instead of a 44 because it was lighter and easier to pack around and it did virtually anyhting the 44 could. That was before heavy bullets were as popular as they are now. My 41 has the longer barrel. When I wanted a heavy bullet gun, I bought the 45 Colt Blackhawk in the 4 5/8" stainless version. I wish my 41 was similarly barreled. Common thinking has it that the longer barrels shoot better than short. That isn't how it works for me and I like the balance of the shorter Blackhawks.

I like them both so I can't be of much help though they differ enough that you might weigh how you might use them to make your choice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice fellas !

I'm still not sure yet which I'll get (unfortunately cannot afford both at this time) but I suspect either would do the job well enough on deer. I don't hunt big bears and if I am moose hunting with a firearm, I'll use my 45-70 or 06.
But it might be nice to carry on my hip if I go moose hunting with a bow & arrow - in that case the 45 Colt would probably be a better choice. I'm sure that there will be some more revolvers in the future, so whichever I don't get first will probably find its way to my safe someday.

I had heard quite a bit about the undersized throat issue on several 45 Blackhawks which had me kinda concerned as I hadn't heard of this on other calibers in the Blackhawk platform. I've thought about the 44 Rem Mag as well, but I like things that are a little "different" from the mainstream, if you know what I mean. Since I plan to reload for it, ammo availability isn't as much of an issue.

I will keep looking and trying different barrel lengths to see what seems to balance better for me.

My first revolver was actually a GP100 - still have it, too !

·
Registered
129 Posts
Dont listen to them!! The .45 colt is cool, but a .41 mag beats it hands down, its a much better deer and bear round. Youd be pleased with a .41.
We have put thousands of rounds through our .41 b hawk w/o any malfunctions or missfires. If you handload look in the Hodgon Manual for tons of loads and bullet choices, youd be satisfied. Federal and Winchester make 250 grn. bullets for hunting, Federals is a castcore lead,good for bear, winies is a hp silvertip good for deer. I hope you go with the .41 and join the unofficial club.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Been out of town a couple days and I'm feeling cranky! I have no clue why Ruger has chronically undersized .45 throats. But Ihave yet to find anyone who thinks having throats smaller than bore size is good for accuracy. Not many people want to buy a gun that will most likely need work before they can really find a good load for it. It sounds like yours shoots fine and that's great. Neither one of mine did. The first one went back to Ruger who put a new barrel on it, then was reamed and a Belt Mountain base pin. After that a gunsmith buddy worked on it for a while simply because he wanted to figure out why it wouldn't shoot. He couldn't and as to his abilities check out the rolling block ressurection over on leverguns/sixgunner. I did not go through all that with the second one. Just a throat reaming and the base pin. The cylinder alignment was so bad that at 15 yards I would end up with three different groups. After many cylinders full I had three excellent, distinct and widely separated groups! My fortune is such that I could have ended up with the ONLY two problematical .45 Blackhawks but....

The only other caliber I have heard of that Ruger is said to have throating issues with are the .32 mags. Someone suggested that they are reamed with the tooling for the .30 Carbine, anyway from my personal experience when I buy another Blackhawk it won't be in .45.

If you are a good enough hunter to actually take a moose with a bow I doubt you have anytrouble with a .41 or .44 mag on your hip.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Both the Blackhawk and the Redhawk 45s I have will let any factory jacketed bullet slip through without much effort. I know they aren't all the same but, they don't all have the problem either.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate everyone sharing their advice and experiences with me - hope to get this figured out and buy one soon - I'm going to check out a
4 5/8 inch barrel and 7 1/2 inch barrel in 45 Colt soon, and possibly a
41 Mag with a 6 inch tube.

I know that a 44 Rem Mag would also do the job perfectly well, but I was
also hoping to get a non-Super (lighter) Blackhawk frame, and don't
currently have the patience to save for one of the newer 44 flat tops.

Thank you again, fellas !

·
Registered
93 Posts
the convertable .45c/acp is versatile.... :wink:

ruffbird.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've found (2) 45 convertibles for sale in my area, but I haven't had a chance yet to go handle & inspect them. One is a 4 5/8" barrel (blued) NIB with the standard B-hawk grips that is new for about $380. The other is a 5 1/2" barrel (also blue) that is claimed to be NIB for $415. Both are new models with the safety billboard on the barrel. Have you noticed any significant difference in the balance or muzzle velocity between the 4 5/8 and the 5 1/2 barrels (from the photo, it appears you have one of each) ???

Many thanks !

·
Registered
93 Posts
there is no difference to me in shooting them with identical loads, so as far as i'm concerned it comes down to the barrel length you like better.

you really can't go wrong either way! me, i like em both... :lol:

ruffbird.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ruffbird said:
the convertable .45c/acp is versatile.... :wink:

ruffbird.
Man Alive!! :shock:

Where did you find those awsome tiger striped grips?! I'd love to have them on my 5.5" stainless 357! :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
they are "mesquite" grips, & you can get them from cary chapman in california,....

check out his website, he makes some of the most beautiful grips you will ever see. www.clccustomgrips.com

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoo boy !
I found a brand spankin new 5 1/2 inch bbl blued Blackhawk in 45 Colt today -
cylinder locked up very tight, with no end shake, almost invisible cylinder gap, and felt really nicely balanced in my hand. Price was a firm $450 so I may be searching for a little bit longer as I think I can do better on price. But the jitters are starting to appear in the hand that reaches for the wallet...

·
Registered
339 Posts
oldyankee2 said:
Hoo boy !
I found a brand spankin new 5 1/2 inch bbl blued Blackhawk in 45 Colt today -
cylinder locked up very tight, with no end shake, almost invisible cylinder gap, and felt really nicely balanced in my hand. Price was a firm $450 so I may be searching for a little bit longer as I think I can do better on price. But the jitters are starting to appear in the hand that reaches for the wallet...
I friend of mine just bought one at Sportsman's Warehouse here in Oklahoma City for $360.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think you are making a good choice looking at the 45. I've got a few of them and really like them. For what ever reason the cylinder issue isn't always an issue. I've only got one that has had the cylinder reamed and the others shoot well enough for me. One guy that I know that has reamed several cylinders and out of curiosity shot them both ways found there to be a 1/2" average improvement in accuracy with the reaming. To me not a big issue. You don't want to assume they need a Belt mountain base pin either. A new base pin MAY help if yours backs out but there are other methods that help that as well. Tolerances with Rugers are such that the factory pin may allow the cylinder and barrel align better with the standard pin where as a tighter Belt Mountain Pin, may keep that alignment from happening which may become a bigger issue than the cylinders themselves. Just something to think about. The larger heavier bullets are very popular these days because of their superior performance. The 45 Colt is the ideal platform for that as the larger case reduces pressure substantially. I have several 44's as well and like them but to me the 41 is a yawn, "wanna be". Go with the 45. You will like it.
Good luck on the search.

·
Premium Member
18,033 Posts
I'll cast a vote for the 41 Mag, every one I've owned or shot was a tackdriver, and I've always believed every man should own an obsolete caliber. Many consider the 41 obsolete, I've owned three and would love to have another. It's not obsolete, trust me, ask the man that owns one. It's efficient, flatter shooting than the 44 in most loadings, and doesn't have to kick hard to hit hard. The only people who truly love the 41 are those who have shot them! Besides, that "Cult Status" thing is kinda cool........ :wink:

PJ

·
Registered
309 Posts
Ruff Bird. Good to see you over here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts