Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

I'm loving my new '94CB 24" 45colt :D

Is it normal to get black residue on the cases after firing, even around the head groove? :?

My reloads are 250gr coated LRNFP over 23.5gr H4227 & Federal LP #150 primers in Winchester brass, 3/4 length resized.

Mucus

·
Registered
688 Posts
"Strong" reloads such as I shoot don't do that in my rifle (an EMF 92) but use factory ammo and every round looks like a blown primer with more smoke coming out of the action than from the muzzle. Because the .45 Colt is a straight case and many rounds are lower pressure it seems to have this prediliction. Some of my low pressure loads are BLACK all the way around and back to the rim.

It could be that your load just hasn't crossed the pressure line for "clean" burning in your rifle. Your loads are probably running only about 1200 fps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G'day Hobie,
Thanks for your reply.

I thought my reloads were approaching "Strong" :shock:

Paco's article "45Colt in Leveraction Rifles" recommends strong loads for 260gr Keiths as 22/H4227 29,000CUP for 1710fps to 25/H4227 31,000CUP for 1880fps. I assume these are out of a 20" barrel.

Surely my 250gr loads out of a 24" barrel are "Up there". :?

Maybe I should run them through a chrony at my local indoor range.

Mucus

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mad, how strong a crimp you got on them? the .45's do tend to soot up, especially at CAS load ranges. Which cases are you using? with 250's and a strong crimp, sooting should be minimized. Usually strong sooting comes with light loads and light weight bullets.Went back and checked your earlier posts and caught the Win. brass statement. I was asking because Starline brass tends to be a little thicker and sometimes doesn't seal as well as Winchester does. Try upping your crimp some and see if thaty doesn't knock it down some.......Buck 8) :roll: :wink:

·
Registered
688 Posts
A good strong crimp can improve things.

Your charge is sort of mid-range according to the older Hogdon Manual. Even current Hogdon Data doesn't show this charge as producing pressures in the 30K CUP range. It only reaches that level under a 335 gr. bullet! At those pressures there is still sometimes a bit of smoking from some powders.

I use H110 in my strong reloads. This is a better performer (IMO) than Lil'Gun in this cartridge. I use 23 gr. under a 300 gr. bullet, jacketed or cast, and get very, very little to know smoking of the cases. ALL the cowboy loads blacken the cases in MY rifle.

I am using Winchester brass, too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I agree with Hobie, with strait walled cases and light loads, the case doesn't expand to fill the chamber completely. The gases then blow back around the case and you get all that sooty gunk on you cases.
I've had that same problem when working with light loads of cast bullets in rifles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I shoot very lite 45LC with my 24" cowboy, Not only was I getting Severely blackened cases, I was getting INTENSE Blowback. If the gun was recently oiled, the first shot would put oil in your face.
As you know, quick shot recovery and fast next target acquisition are everything in CAS. Lite loads accomplish that.

I cured my blowback and extremely dirty case (Looked like blackpowder had been shot in them) by making 2 important changes.

#1. I went to a .454 bullet, DO NOT DO THIS WITH HOT LOADS. I was using a TINY QUANTITY of WW231 and a 180 grain bullet.

#2. I don't clean the chamber until the bullet won't feed easily. The build up helps seal

This data is provided only as information and is not being recommended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts