Marlin Firearms Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever heard of Blackbirds??
Hubby's grandma used to make them.
She made a filling of fried bread crumbs, raisins, minced parsely. Allow that to cool & add a beaten egg.
Make a basic dough, roll thin, cut into squares. Small amount of filling in center of dough, fold diagonal and pinch.
(Sorta like pierogies)
Then (I think :?: ) boil & pan fry.
Don't know if it's an actual recipe or something she came up with!?!

Any help would be appreciated!

Deb :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Never heard of them, but I'd sure like to try them. My Granny and Mom use to make the standard peirogies stuffed with potato, cheese and sometimes sourkraut. Oh the days gone by :cry:. Sometimes it hurts my brain to think back that far :shock:

Who knows..... Maybe CJ can help ya.... You know she's got a recipe for just about anything!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've searched high and low ... I'll keep trying, but so far this is all I have come up with.:

Bayou Blackbird Jambalaya

Ingredients

30 Blackbirds; cleaned
1 1/2 lb Pork sausage
1 lg Onion; chopped
1 lg Green pepper; chopped
1 c Chopped celery
Salt; to taste
Freshly-ground black pepper;
- to taste
4 c Water
2 c Raw rice
1 tb Chopped green onion tops
1 tb Minced parsley

Instructions:

Brown birds and sausage in a Dutch oven; cook until birds are tender.
Add onion, green pepper, and celery, and cook until onion browns slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste, then the water.
Bring to a boil and add rice; be sure there is sufficient liquid to cook rice. Cover tightly and cook for about 40 minutes. Just before serving stir in onion tops and parsley.

Blackbird Pie

7/8 cup sugar
1/4 cup tapioca
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2 cups blueberries
2 cups peaches, cubed
1 tbsp. lemon juice

Use Pillsbury refrigerated pie crust for 9" pie.
Place 2 cups of blueberries and 2 cups of 1/4" cubed peaches in separate bowl.
Mix blueberries and peaches with lemon juice.
Add remaining ingredients and mix lightly.
Line 9" pie pan with crust.
Place above mixture into crust.
Level out and dot with 1 and 1/3 tbsp. butter.
Cover with top crust.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar as desired.
Bake 35-45 minutes in 425 F oven.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Blackbird Perogies

Filling:

1 cup raisins

1 cup diced apple **or** drained crushed pineapple

1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley or mint leaves

3/4 cup bread crumbs

1 small package cream cheese ( softened )

1 egg

1 tsp salt

Dough:

3 cups flour

1 tsp.salt

1 cup water

Mix dough ingredients until they form a ball.

Roll out and cut out small circles

(cut dough out with top of small drinking glass).

Put 1 spoonful of filling in center.

Fold over so edges meet and crimp edges.

Bring water to a rapid boil

Place in the boiling water and cook until they float on the top of the water.

Remove from water and brown in butter in a frying pan.

Sprinkle with Cinnamon and Sugar and Serve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks!!
From what I have been told, it must be similar to the Blackbird Pierogie.
No pineapple or apple (or cream cheese!) though. :lol:
I am beginning to think it was something she 'came up' with!!
I do like the sounds of that recipe, CJ!! I will give that a try!!

My mom-in-law is Polish and always making those good old recipes, you know, the no calorie ones!! LOL
Pieogries, halupka, halushki, and a cookie I won't even attempt to spell!!
MMMM!!!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Calamity Jane said:
"Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves for we shall never cease to be amused."
I love that reminder~! It's been sitting in front of my kitchen sink for many a year --- no matter where my kitchen sink is.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hello Miss Nomer ... LOL ... I need that little ditty in every room in my house. :wink: :D

·
Premium Member
2,403 Posts
For the sake of clarification. Blackbirds to be eaten are not the grackles or fantails found in the south during the spring. The eating blackbirds are the smallish cowbirds that flock together in the fall and winter here in Texas. Several shots into the middle of the flock provides many birds. We removed the breast and made birds and rice. Nice meal for a winter day.

Papalote

·
Registered
394 Posts
Uncle Mike,
We have tons of crows, and a few ravens, up here in Minnesota. Have you eaten crow? The reason I ask is, I see crows picking at roadkill. Heck, I could fill my freezer easily! We actually have a season for hunting them.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Never ate Crow...at least the not feathered variety, but know those who have, they just eat the breast. If I remember right there is a web site devoted to Crow hunting. Here in PA we can hunt Crows only on Fri., Sat., and Sunday, except during the 2 weeks of Deer season, if I understand the Hunting Regs. correctly. We can blast Crows out of the air Sunday but can't hunt Deer on Sunday...go figure :roll: :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
We've been know to eat robins, used to be a delicacy, now outlawed. :( Some of the folks out in the country here still eat them(and a few other eye openers that are now outlawed, like sea turtle, swan and loon), cooked with rice and fatback, or pastry, rutabagas and fatback. Not quite the same as the dessert yall are discussing though. :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
The ornithologist at the univ of arizona tried every bird he collected and most were edible except the starling he told me they tasted terrible.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
My uncle, who just passed away last month, was 95 years old. he often told of is teenage years during the depression. They would fire their 410 into the flocks of "blackbirds" and that was about all the meat they would have sometimes. He said they tasted like chicken liver. But then there wasn't much he wouldn't eat at least once. And he called those the good times!

Maybe times have changed in these parts, but the only blackbirds I see, are the starlings and grackles. I'm pretty sure I know how my wife would react if I threw a mess of them on the table and told her to "cook em up".
Regards
Bestboss

·
Premium Member
1,521 Posts
Bestboss said:
I'm pretty sure I know how my wife would react if I threw a mess of them on the table and told her to "cook em up".
Regards
Bestboss
Starling enema????

1 - 17 of 17 Posts